The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking on ordering some Dwarf Red Gouramis through the mail. I'm wondering, how will the fish arrive? Brains scrambled? Alive, Dead, Damaged? I never ordered fish through the mail before & I'm a bit Leary. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
It really depends who you order than from. Some people/companies are very good about packing them and some not. Overnight is also the best option but can be pricey. Best thing is to read reviews about the seller before buying.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I order fish that aren't available locally from Rachel shipped express. She ships very well and is a great seller. Generally, fish are going to be shipped in either breather bags or plastic bags filled with air/O2 surrounded by packing material and styrofoam/thermal insulation and shipped to you ASAP (based on shipping choice). Some people offer DOA (dead on arrival) replacement with certain terms you have to meet to make sure you didn't just neglect your fish. The fish and shrimp I received last were actually more healthy than the store I buy from locally... :hihi:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Generally people who take the time to sell fish online, take the time to package them well enough.

All of the fish you buy in pet stores are shipped to the store, one way or another. They didn't teleport them there.

I've ordered around 350 dollars in fish in the last few weeks, I've had 2 fish Die within short order. The shipper compensated very well for them and it is part of the risk of any transaction with live animals.

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
I order fish that aren't available locally from Rachel shipped express. She ships very well and is a great seller. Generally, fish are going to be shipped in either breather bags or plastic bags filled with air/O2 surrounded by packing material and styrofoam/thermal insulation and shipped to you ASAP (based on shipping choice). Some people offer DOA (dead on arrival) replacement with certain terms you have to meet to make sure you didn't just neglect your fish. The fish and shrimp I received last were actually more healthy than the store I buy from locally... :hihi:
+1 on rachel

·
Registered
920 Posts
unless your LFS gets fish from the stream behind the store. they are all shipped. you just have to try to find a good seller like your LFS and other resellers do. you should be able to find reviews on those with a simple google search or look around on forums

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Generally people who take the time to sell fish online, take the time to package them well enough.
true enough! now having shipped out over a 200 scaled kids from my tanks I mind the packing of the box and overall weather before offering them. Prepared correctly there is little wrong with priority 3 day and yet to have an order arrive short on what was ordered.

Order fish when the temperatures are nice and temperate like now. Extreme heat and cold are bad.
plants or critters great advice

·
Registered
993 Posts
I've only had fish shipped to me once, as I couldn't find what I was looking for, locally.

I've recently ordered nannostomus rubrocaudatus from wet spot tropical fish, as I couldn't find any stock locally during the time. Paid for $40 for overnight shipping. Well packaged, and a label on the box clearly stating LIVE TROPICAL FISH. Every single one of them came in healthy, and a few were even showing coloration, even in the plastic bag haha!

I'm on their listing for nannostomus mortenthaleri. I'd still buy locally if it is available, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.