The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to add a little orange to my tank, for a change. I know I've seen pics of a few different types of orange stem plants, but I don't recall the names of the rarer ones.

Anyone have pics? I have a high tech tank with soft water, so I can grow the higher light varieties.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Forgive my spelling--I'm too lazy to look it up

Ammannia gracilis is a nice, bold orange plant.
diplidis diandra takes and reddish orange cast on the tips when happy
some types of ludwigia are a nice orange

·
Registered
845 Posts
A lot of the Rotala species have nice colors; ie R. Rotundifolia and R.Wallichii give nice orangey/pinkish hues. Rotala macrandra is another nice one and would love your high light tank.

Nice pics everyone! Just beautiful!! :)

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
My hygro polysperma takes on a bit of an orange on the leaves.
rotala wilisii would be another to check out.
blyxa japonica, given the right conditions, will turn a nice bronze-color. High light makes it even a deeper reddish.

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
My Rotala mexicana is pinkish-orange.

Oh, how I wish I could get that plant. :D

Orange Plants:

Ammannia gracillis
Ludwigia palustris
Ludwigia inclinata
Ludwigia 'Cuba' - has an orangish red crown

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Be advised that getting the color you want does not end with getting these plants. for instance very few people have any luck getting Rotala macrandra to color to bright red, let alone grow at all. so once you narrow down the list to a few plants, find someone here who grows them successfully to the right colors, then you must be willing and able to approximate those water, light and substrate conditions.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the responses. I think I may try some ammannia gracilis. Anyone have a starter to sell/trade? I have some reddish blyxa...

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Hmm....The guy I got it from said it was parrots feather and theats what it looked like(at least the emersed form I got). I guess this is the submerged form!

I did a search and here is what I found:

Look Alikes: The submersed leaves of mermaid weed may be confused some water-milfoil species.
Parrots feather is a water milfoil sp.. Here is the link:

Mermaid Weed

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hey Daniel, where did you get that Rotala Mexicana, I have never seen it and I live in Mexico (really) LOL. It's amazing that a Finnish fellow hobbyist have one Mexican plant. Now I'm digging the web in order to find some info of this beautiful rotala.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Oh, how I wish I could get that plant. :D

Orange Plants:

Ammannia gracillis
Ludwigia palustris
Ludwigia inclinata
Ludwigia 'Cuba' - has an orangish red crown

Aaron, you've been looking for that one awhile now haven't you? I also remember you wanting some R. occultiflora.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts