The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Currently have PRL Shrimp. I want some more colors and interesting things in my tank.
I see orange shrimp, and pumpkin shrimp, and some websites have both.
What do you think is the best looking orange shrimp (I like the color orange more than other neo options)
Is there something like an equivalent to bloody mary in orange?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Same same different lah! (as they say in Singapore)

From here:

Scientific name: Neocaridina heteropoda var. Orange, Neocaridina davidi var. Orange

Common names: Orange sakura shrimp, pumpkin shrimp, orange sunkist shrimp

From the orange neo's I have seen here, there can be quite a bit of variation in colour intensity and hue. I wasn't at all keen on the oranges, but orange is my little boy's favorite colour, so obviously those are the ones he wanted for our next tank. I wasn't keen (I like my 'Goldenback' yellows best), but in the aquarium on Friday they had a tank of the best looking "Sunkist" oranges I have seen yet. Real fresh orange juice yellow - they looked great, so we came home with 20! So the little guys is super pleased and they really pop against the green moss back wall and the dark brown Amazonia substrate.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but guess what I am trying to say is that it might be hard to order the "best" orange neo's online without actually seeing them in their shrimpy flesh.

In that same shop they has a tank of CRS and red cherrys - first time I have seem them together in the same tank. And they looked great together with the common red colour. I wonder whether orange neo's might look a bit odd next to your PRL? Just a thought for you...

Regards, James

·
Registered
125 Posts
You are making a good point!
Maybe the red crystals and oranges will look weird together.

Maybe I should think of golden backs.
I feel cherries dont add a new color to red crystals

Blues are beautiful but I have black gravel and they wont show well

Bump: oh wait, looking in your chart!!!
I didn't realize that golden back yellow are a different shrimp species from cherries! fascinating.
They did look different when I had them many years ago. Some of them also got crazy big for me back then

I am looking at this website https://joesshrimpshack.com/shop/ols/products/pumpkin-neocaridina

This states the pumpkin shrimp are different from his orange shrimp.
The pumpkin shrimp look like a golden back turned orange, as they have this back, I think.
Anyone seen this in person?

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
The orange neos appear to be the equivalent of bloody mary

The pumpkin neos appear to be the equivalent of fire red or painted fire reds

You might want to ask Joe maybe see if he could do a side by side comparison?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.