The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i'm just wondering if anyone has any idea if these orange pumpkin shrimps breed true or not? i couldn't find any answers to this anywhere...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so i bought like 8 females that are all berried at a local fish store and they look all orange but 1 looks yellow... could or could not be an orange but they all had their babies and now i have quit a bit but keep all the babys in a small container within the tank (breeding box you can all it) and the babies have grown a bit but some looks like cherrys lol but still a bit small to tell for sure but could they really be cherrys that an orange had layed babies from?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
mine breeds true, but takes forever and a day to really color up, they spend most of the time until sub adult looking clear with orange stripes.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
like 50 or so, not that many, lol. Its in a high tech tank with co2, so they don't breed as fast.

I got them here from a random person in the trade forum, lol

see how the little ones are colorless, but most of them color up when I cull them =/. Maybe its the co2..

·
Registered
294 Posts
Mine breed true. They give two shades of orange. Some are darker and some are lighter orange darker yellow like tangerine tiger without the stripes.
I notice one thing that they are a tiny bit smaller than other neocaridina full grown.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Are you talking neocaridina orange variants?

I've had some for over a year. No real culling, and here's a crappy phone shot of feeding time I just took:

Note that the majority that I have are orange, with some that are more tangerine (one near the center with it's back to the camera). The tangerines may be 10% or a bit less of the population. I actually like both shades. But all are pretty solid orange, and most color up fairly quickly. Much better than the cherries I see in the LFS. You can see some small ones in that pic.

I've actually pulled some of the tangerine into another tank to see if they'll breed more true to that color.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Can I ask what is that you mean to breed true? Im kind of new in this shrimp talk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Breeding true means that the offspring are just as colorful as the adult parents. Some shrimp don't breed true meaning if they start off one color, their offspring may or may not have the same color or characteristics and over time/generations their offspring don't look like the original parents/adults anymore.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts