The Planted Tank Forum banner

Orange Poso Rabbit Snails!

3875 17
I just got in my shipment yesterday! 6 juvi orange posos all arrived in terrific condition! I am in love! I have them in a Evolve 8 and will be setting up and cycling a 20 gallon long soon for when they get bigger. I am hoping to breed these guys.

When setting up the breeder tank, I am not sure what substrate to use. Crushed coral, crushed coral under sand, or something totally different. It seems like there is a lot of conflicted opinions on what to use.

Hoping if I can get these guys going well, I will be able to add a few other types too (in separate tanks of course). I love the Black Spotted and Mini Yellows too!

Here are some pics! :)

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Aragonite sand works well for them. They like to dig in sand, and the aragonite helps keep your pH high.

Don't keep them for too long in the Amazonia tank! Their shells will start to pit.

They love to eat raw carrots, so be sure to give them some.

Good luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks! I am going out shopping today so will get the sand! I put some carrots in last night but only one looks like it has been eating them. The tank was cycled for Neo Shrimp so I let some algae and diatoms grow so they have been all over exploring and eating.

Other than the Carrots and other veggies, in a pinch will they eat Kens Veggie sticks and/or Repashy Solient Green? Would giving them cuttle bone or calcium pills be good until the new tank is cycled?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Oh and just noticed you said RAW carrots...should I not blanch them? What about other veggies all raw?
Blanched carrots get messy real fast. Raw carrots last a week in your tank.

Ken's Veggie sticks with calcium are great for them.

·
Registered
843 Posts
cool to see some people are keeping this guys
they do like to burrow and eat plants..

I haven't seen them eat my moss..but they eat all my four leaf clover plant :(

I recently just got a baby from my batch..lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Neat! I hope to get babies some day. Mine are all under or just at an inch so I have a wait unless my two that were supposed to arrive yesterday are ok and happen to be a pair or females that are already carrying babies.

Do any of you guys have pics of your tanks?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Sorry for all the questions, but is pricing around $70+ right for a 20lb bag of the Aragonite sand? :O
No, that is ptobably the kind with live bacteria. You want dry aragonite. It's way cheaper than that, and is available at the big box pet stores.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I just picked up a 20 long for them! I will try to do a journal on it! My LPS (went to 3 diff ones) don't have the Aragonite Sand. They only have a Ciclid Substrate, but it had copper in the ingredients, so I am not sure if that will work. They did have Crushed Coral, but only in white. I was really hoping for a black substrate. Is there anywhere I can get it online? All I am finding is the stuff with the live bacteria for saltwater tanks.

Worst case maybe I could use Crushed Coral under regular black sand or maybe in a media bag in the filter, then some Seiryu Stones? Also what plants can I use with such a high pH? Mosses and Java Ferns? I was hoping to do some floaters too if possible.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Well I just picked up a 20 long for them! I will try to do a journal on it! My LPS (went to 3 diff ones) don't have the Aragonite Sand. They only have a Ciclid Substrate, but it had copper in the ingredients, so I am not sure if that will work. They did have Crushed Coral, but only in white. I was really hoping for a black substrate. Is there anywhere I can get it online? All I am finding is the stuff with the live bacteria for saltwater tanks.

Worst case maybe I could use Crushed Coral under regular black sand or maybe in a media bag in the filter, then some Seiryu Stones? Also what plants can I use with such a high pH? Mosses and Java Ferns? I was hoping to do some floaters too if possible.
Both Petco and Petsmart have the dry Aragonite sand. Just ask them.

You can use black sand if you use Salty Shrimp 7.5 or 8.5 to remineralize your water. The Salty Shrimp mix will raise your pH to where you need it.
Feed them with Ken's Veggie Sticks with calcium and they will be fine.

I have Java ferns in with a few of my snails. They will eventually eat some of them, but mine have lasted for a while.

Also, they like some wood or rocks to climb on.

Dwarf water lettuce, Amazon frogbit, Guppy (Najas) grass, and hornwort will all do fine at 80F and high pH.

They tend to make a mess of mosses, and most of them don't do well at 80F.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My Petco and Petsmart are pretty pathetic...LOL! Neither had it. My little mom and pop one can order it in, I was just hoping to get a start on the tank sooner than they would get it.

Thanks so much again for all of the info! I really appreciate it! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.