The Planted Tank Forum banner

Orange Von Rio Flame Tetra vs. Cardinal Tetra?

• Orange Von Rio Flame Tetra

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Cardinal Tetra

Votes: 22 75.9%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a heavily planted 40 gallon tank with both green and red-tone plants.

What would be nicer looking? A school of orange Von Rio Flame tetras or cardinal tetras?

Here are the Von Rio Flame tetras. (First photo courtesy of Ed/paradise. Second photo courtesy of tha_beeg. Both pictures can be found on this thread.

I'm sure everyone knows what cardinals look like. =)

I plan to have a small school of otos and maybe a small school of dwarf cories or small panda cories. In addition, I'll have amano shrimp at the bottom. =)

·
Registered
888 Posts
I prefer cardinals if you ask me.;)
Von Rio and flame are the same. Hyphessobrycon flammeus

Epic, that tetra(first pic) is closer to ember tetra(Hyphessobrycon amandae) than flame. The one in the middle(second pic) is indeed a flame tetra.

·
Registered
90 Posts
second pic is my tank!!(wow lots of algae:icon_sad: ) the top and bottom tetras are orange von rio flame tetras and the middle one is just a von rio flame tetra:smile: The orange von rios are very fun fish that are always active during the day poking around at each other and usually stay schooled up pretty nicely. btw i have 10 total right now, 3 regulars and 7 oranges, but they all school together

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, sorry! I gave credit for both pictures to paradise. Please forgive me. =)

Would you prefer a von rio flame tetra over a cardinal? ;)

I'll have both green and red tone plants.

·
Registered
90 Posts
it was a bad picture anyways:flick: would i? yes! i love these little guys always full of action and i love the way the orange and red stand out against a well planted tank! they are very peaceful and tend to keep theyre playful quarrels amongst themselves. theyre something different than the usual cardinal or neon:smile:

·
Registered
888 Posts
Now this is funny.:hihi: Epic must have pmed one of the mods to set up a poll.:hihi:

Cardinals get my vote.:icon_mrgr

Edit: Now I just hope cardinals will win the poll.:angel:

·
Registered
888 Posts
Set it up myself. Thread Tools > Add a Poll. ;)
Whoops..Sorry for that.:icon_redf :icon_mrgr I thought only the mods can set up one right after it was posted(missing the poll).:icon_roll

Good luck with the tetras you choose. But in the end you might just choose both.:proud: :icon_mrgr

·
Registered
439 Posts
One Problem:

Flame Tetras don't shool. Each one stakes out, and hovers over, a territory and charges, like a bull, at any other fish that enters it (except for cories, otos and aggressive Bettas, in my expereince.)

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
One Problem:

Flame Tetras don't shool. Each one stakes out, and hovers over, a territory and charges, like a bull, at any other fish that enters it (except for cories, otos and aggressive Bettas, in my expereince.)
Not in the my lfs, they school like rasboras.

·
Registered
439 Posts
In all fish stores, where the fish have lots of tank mates and little protective cover, schooling behavior will be very pronounced. But once you get a few of them home, you wonder what happened. :confused:

This is very true of neons, for example. In the store, they look like a nice big irridescent school. But once you get them home, into a planted tank, they go their own separate ways.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
yea, but these guys are like a big, broken fish, instead of a big fish, then a few little fish. then a big and then little.
i don't know, maybe they are really good at disqusing themselves at schooling.

·
Registered
439 Posts
yea, but these guys are like a big, broken fish, instead of a big fish, then a few little fish. then a big and then little.
i don't know, maybe they are really good at disqusing themselves at schooling.
The only way to be sure is to buy some and see.

The all-orange ones do look really nice, and the ones I saw this weekend seemed a bit more passive than usual.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.