The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Going to be rescaping my 55g in the nearish future. Going to be getting rid of the liverbearers in there and replacing them--by going some other route. It is and is going to stay basically an anubias tank, but does have some crypts and other soft plants.

I am wondering mainly if the Oranda Goldfish are plant-eaters? If so,--How destructive are they?

Thanx! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
101 Posts
From my experience, they're VERY destructive.

If you wanna keep goldfish with some plants, I guess elodea is the only option.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Many people do fine with goldfish and plants, especially the fancy varieties like orandas. It's worth a try--you can get a beautiful setup. You'll need plants that are strongly rooted though. Start with small fish so that by the time they're big enough to do damage, they won't be interested. If you plop in a fish big enough to harm things, he's going to think, 'whoah! new edibles!"

·
Registered
153 Posts
In addition to the points that Mori makes I think there is a "critical mass" involved with goldfish and plants. It seems that unless you have the tank heavily planted the fish will mow through things pretty quickly.

Also, they'll definitely eat anything with fine or tender leaves. In my experience crypts, vals, swords, and anubias have all done well - other varieties are hit or miss and you'll have to experiment for yourself.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
java ferns do well too.

just have 2-3 goldfish... they sure poop a lot. You'd have to do water changes every other day if you have more.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I Think I am going to give them a try. Right now, I am waiting on 3 comets to eat all of the duckweed before I bother trying to rescape it. So, it will probably be a month, maybe 2.

Yes, the Comets will be gone. They are snake food--currently just surviving under the Duckweed Protection Program. If they're smart--they'll always leave a few specs floating......:bounce:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts