The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm trying to decide between two options for lighting my 10 gallon. I will either purchase a 20" Coralife Aqualights 28 watt CF fixture, or I will use an incandescent hood with 2 20 watt screw-in CF bulbs. Obviously, the incandescent hood would be cheaper, and give me 40 total watts, as compared to 28 watts with the Aqualight. The advantage to the Aqualight seems to be efficiency, appearance, and perhaps safety?

ANy suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response! I would love to build a 36 watt Bright Kit, but this is an existing tank, and I'm actually replacing a 2x13 Bright Kit that I retrofitted into a fluorecent strip. It melted through the plastic and shorted out. It scared my wife, so I promised I would buy a replacement, rather than build one. :smile:

I think I am leaning towards the incandescent hood.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
right now im using USA current 40 watts and all my plants are growing well

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I have the same dilemma. I inherited a 10 gallon at work, and it had a non-quickstart fluorescent desk lamp with an 18" 15 W Floraglo in it. I added a left over 24" Marina light from my 20H from home (got a Coralife on that one) on top of a glass top. Looks a bit ghetto, but works, as I know have 30 watts.

I looked into the 20" Coralife, but they all come with 50/50 bulbs. I am still toying around with building a hood and getting the AHsupply 2x13 kits instead. The deluxe kit with the miro 4 reflectors should get more light into the tank than my 30w ghetto setup.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went ahead and purchased the incandescent hood today along with 2 screw-in compact fluorescents. I went with 2 15 watt bulbs, as the 20 watt bulbs looked way too fat to fit in the hood. Its nice and bright in there. I'm getting ready to rip out the jungle of java fern and crypt in there, and really do a nice layout. I'll post pics if it goes well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.