The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heyy just gettin started in the whole planted tank thing...
just wondering if anyone out there had some suggestions for a 25g
all i got in there right now is black gravel...
heyy take it easy on the suggestions please...brand spankin new...so nothing to comlicated please...or expinsive...

·
Registered
40 Posts
try Java ferns or java moss on driftwood or stones, and anubias.

they're all low light and low maintence plants but you'll be able to make a simple tank look nice with just those. There are other options out there though.
-me

·
Registered
66 Posts
crypts are quite easy going too with the low light, but they are heavy root feeders so some fertilizing tabs around the root will definitely help =)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Welcome! Always nice to have a new member!

My first recomendation would be to deside if you want a fish tank that is planted, or a planted tank that has some fish.

I know it is a strange comment, but the distinction is very real. If you are interested in a particular fish, then you will probably plan your plants around the fish.... and vice-versa.

For example: Most cichlids are almost imposible to keep with any soft or tender plants, so heavy duty plants are required.

Or: A moss heavy or thickly planted tank is a great home for shrimp or livebearer fish who need a lot of hiding places for their babies but stay small enough to manouver throught the tight spaces.

So my question is... are you going for any fish in particular, or planing on fitting the fish to the plant selection?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Yep... pretty much any plant mix will go with tetras.

So, if you want to stay pretty in-expensive, I would probably start of with some java ferns here and there, and maybe some java moss tied to a nice peice of drift wood. If you are low light (<1 watt per gallon) you could use some anacharis and hornwort in the back ground if you get it anchored down so that it doesn't float all around, and a nice patch of dwarf sag in the mid-ground.

An important thing to remember is to get some root-tabs or similar supliments for plants if they are root dependant. Sag isn't too picky, but a nice brown or red cryptocorine would look great in your tank as a semi-center piece, but really would need a root tab in a new tank. In more aged tanks with mulm in the gravel, you don't normally need to give them root tabs.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Pongolator, Is this your first tank or first planted tank? If you have an established tank laying around, you could steal some of the substrate from the established tank and use as a fertilizer for some of the root plants as Taf Caf was stating, instead of Root tabs. OR, since you are using black gravel you could get some Eco Complete (which is a fantasitc start for a planted tank and is also a black substrate which would mix right in with your black gravel), but this is quite expensive and if your trying to keep cost down this is not the way to go.

the best thing to do right now is probably to use your best judgement, take some of the advise here, and ask alot of questions from your LFS when you are purchasing the plants. they should be able to steer you to some great starter plants if you give them all your specs.

Post pic's when you get it going!! Keep us updated and let us know if your having any problems...GOOD LUCK!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.