The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I would love to get some opinions on my first soon to be planted tank. I'm familiar with keeping fish and the whole nitrogen cycle. Just not to familiar with plants.
I've been reading lots of posts and watching tons of YouTube videos. I've noticed there can be a lot of contradiction which makes me a bit confused and intimated.
So here goes.....

-29gallon tank

-30" Finnex planted plus led light

-50-60 lbs of eco complete should give me about 3? of substrate

-Filtration Penn plax cascade 700gph

Heavily planted with low to medium light plants

Out of the tap and conditioned water

pH 7.6
High pH 8.4
Kh 3
Gh2
Ammonia nitrites and nitrates all @0ppm

I think that's it. So here come the questions.
Should I sprinkle a small amount of osmocote plus before the eco complete?
I've also read that the osmocote will release ammonia into the water. Would this technicaly start the nitrogen cycle? Or would I have to add a source of ammonia?
How long should I have the lights on?
And finally any suggestions on what I could stock the tank with? I'm not in a rush more concerned with the plants.
Thanks a lot everyone!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I use Osmocote+ gel caps, i just push them into the substrate every 3-4 months. Adding a source of ammonia would be good, read up on a fishless cycle to find the target range. Start with a 6-7 hour photoperiod and increase once it is stable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you wouldn't recommend just sprinkleing the osmocote plus under the eco complete? And sorry for my ignorance... When you say photo period is that the time the light would stay on correct?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
So you wouldn't recommend just sprinkleing the osmocote plus under the eco complete? And sorry for my ignorance... When you say photo period is that the time the light would stay on correct?
The root tabs are easier because they can be used only where they are needed which is under heavy root feeders like swords and crypts but the bulk of plants get the nutrients from the water column and trying to guess how much loose osmocote to use could be a problem.Yup photo period is how long you have the lights on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK. Thanks a lot for the tips. I'll see if I can find some tabs at the health food store if not I'll have to order them. I plan on setting up the tank this weekend hopefully all goes well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So....... I set up my tank Friday night and started a fishless cycle yesterday. My water is super cloudy. Should I still have the lights on for 6 to 7 hrs? Should I be worried about algae bloom? Thanks

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
If you have another tank up squeeze some gunk from the filter into the planted tank's filter. Works a treat. I set up a new tank a month ago and got that cloudy water which went away after a water change but nitrites weren't budging until I put a little bit of foam that had been floating in the big tank's sump. Nitrites completely gone the following day.

If this is a 24/7 Finnex then let it run on that cycle but put a layer of window screen mesh down between tank and light to shade the tank.

29 gallons are tall and not very wide. Don't stock with zooming schoolers like zebra danios, rummynose tetras and such. Do you want a wow factor with larger flashier fish or want to put nose to glass to see tiny jewels?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I only have a 2.5 gallon, not sure anything from it would be significant enough to help with the cycling of the 29gallon. I could be wrong.

I have the finnex planted plus not the 24/7. I'm running it for about 6hrs on a timer. The cloudiness is not as bad as last night. I must admit I was a bit worried.
I'm just worried about the well being of the plants, whether or not their receiving enough light.

As for fish..... I used the aqua advisory site, I did find the stocking a bit high. I was hoping to stock with a couple of different schooling fish. Maybe some shrimp.

Here's a crappy pic

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.