The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new here, been lurking for some time. I have owned and enjoyed aquariums my entire life. After many months of research and trying to learn a little I decided to start my first planted tank. I purchased a 75 gallon with stand, filters, lights, substrate heaters, cleaning supplies, and who knows what else. The amassing of supplies took place over the last few months. Today, the last of the necessities arrived, the lights, next step was to go to my LFS and purchase plants tomorrow and begin the setup. After unwrapping my lights I noticed something odd looking on the side of my tank.

My son had hit it with the peg of his bike knocking a large chip out if it. The chip that came out is perfectly smooth but the deepest portion is right near the corner. The tank still holds water but, my question is for how long?! Should I reattach the chip with silicone? Will that even do anything? Should I look into replacing that side? Is that even worth it? Any advice and/or opinions would be very helpful..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
963 Posts
Danger! Danger! Will Robinson! If I were you, I'd get a taller stand or ban bikes in the house! Don't chance it, find out how much it would cost to replace the panel or get a replacement tank. 75 gallons of water discovered on the floor will put you in the dog house and probably looking for a new hobby. :bounce:

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I agree with other's.
I have a tank on the patio with similar chip in corner.
Is why it's on the patio rather than filled with fish.
Could sell the tank as reptile tank??

·
Registered
435 Posts
ouch you can't fix it without replacing the pane and trust it, the best cheapest way to fix it is to find another 75 gallon tank thats broken that you may be able to get for free or cheap and taking it pane to replace yours...check craigslist, or if you have a local aquarium club

·
Registered
23 Posts
Take it from someone who recently had a tank leak....I would replace it. You'll end up paying more later if it happens to leak.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Sorry ! Have to agree with the others. That has to be the largest chip I've seen that hasn't leaked yet. Really no way to fix it that is worth it unless you have done it before. Even then it is a really big question if it is worth the time to do it. Truth is that silicone will not hold any real pressure in this use. For the time, effort, and expense, I find I can do better picking up cans or clipping coupons. Bummer.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
ouch.

at least you got a nice souvenir/primitive blade out of it?

But, yeah, I wouldn't put water in it. Would work fine as a vivarium, or possibly a vertical paludarium (put the chipped part up top).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. It seems the consensus is what I had suspected. Guess I will try and get rid of it, good excuse to move up to a 90 gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts