The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
My 29g is really for my BN plecs. I have a male, growing nicely, very handsome (for a fish, ya know....) and three smaller females of varying sizes. When they grow a bit more I'll probably pull one, or possible two, of the females out and put them in my 79g. But the tank is lacking colour!

I've got 5 sparkling gouramis in there (Trichopsis pumilus) that I do see but they're so little and they like to spend a lot of time hiding out in the Java fern. They are full of character but just not doing it for me in the colour and "filling space" side of things.

So I'm looking for a small schooling fish to go in with them. I was considering Ember Tetra - they have them at 2 of my local LFS so they will be easy to obtain. I was also considering CPDs - not so easy to obtain but definitely possible. Both are beautiful and colourful. It is a SMALL fish I want as I want to put 20 or so in there to have a nice size school without overstocking.

As they will be living with BN plecs, there is obviously bogwood so acidic conditions. I don't test - don't shoot me - so don't know the pH. 20% water changes done every week. Tank is fully cycled and been running for 4 months with no problems. Plecs are fed courgette (zuccini) or cucumber so I'm always worried about the mess/bad conditions of the water even though I do the water changes. I did lose 3 of the Trichopsis Pumilus in the first couple of weeks but the remaining 5 seem healthy and active enough so I'm probably worrying over nothing with the "dirtiness" of the tank. Lots of duckweed soaking up excess nitrate. I do not dose any ferts, no CO2, just tank, fish, water, plants.

Considering all the above, which do you think is better for my tank? Which is hardier? Which would best suit the acidic conditions of the tank? Flow is steady and not too strong, just about "breezes" through the Vallis leaves.

All opinions appreciated

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Stick with Embers I'd say. I love those fish, and they will add a nice touch of colour, especially if your water is at all tea-stained from the tannis. You could probs fit a good sized group in that tank too.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Green neon Tetras might be a good companion too, they have similar colors IE greenish blue. Glow light Tetras might be a good choice as well, although they will be near the same size and not as full color, but man when the light hits the orange stripe down its side it becomes a very beautiful sight.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both
I actually added a bit more bogwood to the tank last night as the amount I had in there before wasn't enough to really change the colour of the water so hopefully I'll get a more natural tea-stained look soon!

Noahma - I had considered REGULAR Neon Tetras but was worried about their "delicateness" (I just invented a word!). I've heard that Neons are now so distantly related to their wild ancestors that they are weak and not at all hardy. Is this the case with the greens too?

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Thanks both
I actually added a bit more bogwood to the tank last night as the amount I had in there before wasn't enough to really change the colour of the water so hopefully I'll get a more natural tea-stained look soon!

Noahma - I had considered REGULAR Neon Tetras but was worried about their "delicateness" (I just invented a word!). I've heard that Neons are now so distantly related to their wild ancestors that they are weak and not at all hardy. Is this the case with the greens too?
The Green Neon tetra as far as I know are mostly wild caught. They tend to be pretty sensitive to water quality. As long as the tank is stable, and the water is kept pretty soft they should do fine. As to the comparison between these and Neon Tetras, I do not know. I have kept Neon tetras in the past, and will be adding them back into my new 36 gal tank, but I have yet to keep Green Neon Tetras. My LFS keeps them in stock most of the time, and they are beautiful fish.

As for the tea colored water, there are products you can buy at your LFS or some of the big chains that will help achieve that. If your water is a little on the harder side, you can add some peat to a filter bag, and place that in your filter, it should leech tannins into the water, as well as help soften it a bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.