The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in naples, fl, would prefer to find local source, my options are not very good. Did searches for local breeders, but none on the net. So, if i were to purchase online-where and experiences are appreciated.

Thanx,
Mark:fish:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Not to promote another forum here but check out the sponsor section at SimplyDiscus.com There are a number of great places there to buy.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Isn't Jack Wattley's farm in FL?
Yeah, its in miami like 2hrs away, but i think they only mail order. If i have to order in mail I will. I would really like to pick out and see what im getting though for that much money. Its just all the horror stories of getting dead, diseased, stunted fish, worry me. thanx for your help,

·
Registered
295 Posts
Its just all the horror stories of getting dead, diseased, stunted fish, worry me.
I don't think that is something you have to worry about with Jack. I've yet to hear anything about people having any trouble with Jack's Discus. you could always contact them and see if you can do a local pickup, the worst they can say is no. :)
Personally I have purchased 3 fish from a seller on eBay called ZenGardens and I've had no complaints about their fish. They are small, about 2.5", when you buy them, but they are great looking fish. They don't have a lot of color when they arrive (kind of expected with their size) but they will color up great as they grow.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think that is something you have to worry about with Jack. I've yet to hear anything about people having any trouble with Jack's Discus. you could always contact them and see if you can do a local pickup, the worst they can say is no. :)
Personally I have purchased 3 fish from a seller on eBay called ZenGardens and I've had no complaints about their fish. They are small, about 2.5", when you buy them, but they are great looking fish. They don't have a lot of color when they arrive (kind of expected with their size) but they will color up great as they grow.
Thanx, I will look for Zen discus. Anyone else have experience with reputable, online discus.

Thanx,
mark

·
Registered
1,507 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
I ordered from zen gardens via ebay. First I was told they were 2"+ and they came 1 3/4" I know thats being picky but raising discus can be hard. Second I paid A LOT of money for priority overnight shipping and it took 2 DAYS!!! I was sure they would be dead thank god they survived. So at least they put a bad taste in my mouth. I have had these two babys for 3 weeks now and they're doing ok still going dark a couple times a day and it took two days to get them to eat. Do your self a favor and drive to Jacks. They fish would be fine on the ride home. keep them in the dark and put a little prime in the bag with them.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered from zen gardens via ebay. First I was told they were 2"+ and they came 1 3/4" I know thats being picky but raising discus can be hard. Second I paid A LOT of money for priority overnight shipping and it took 2 DAYS!!! I was sure they would be dead thank god they survived. So at least they put a bad taste in my mouth. I have had these two babys for 3 weeks now and they're doing ok still going dark a couple times a day and it took two days to get them to eat. Do your self a favor and drive to Jacks. They fish would be fine on the ride home. keep them in the dark and put a little prime in the bag with them.
Thats just seeming like what I need to do(drive there). Im sure there are great places to buy these guys online, but u never know what is in that box until its opened. I guess I would rather wait to find physical source, than to get these guys in the mail.

Thanx,.
Mark

·
Registered
295 Posts
Second I paid A LOT of money for priority overnight shipping and it took 2 DAYS!!! I was sure they would be dead thank god they survived. So at least they put a bad taste in my mouth.
You paid for Express mail which is their shipping method. If you don't live in an overnight location then overnight delivery is not guaranteed. It's not Zen Garden's fault they didn't arrive overnight, you need to check to see if you are in an overnight location before paying for Express shipping, they even have that disclaimer in their auction. Zen Garden's handles their fish very well. Both shipments I received from them came in 2 days and the fish were still in great shape. Zen Gardens packs their fish extremely well giving the bag a good shot of O2 and they add a few drops of Meth. Blue. Read their feedback, they have very very very few problems with DOAs.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Not to promote another forum here but check out the sponsor section at SimplyDiscus.com There are a number of great places there to buy.
IMO you said just the right thing! Not only is it excellent advice, it's recognizing where lines are drawn... This is a forum about planted tanks. SimplyDiscus is a forum about discus. Totally appropriate response to a discus question IMO.

That was great advice, and I would like to add "ditto"!

·
Registered
295 Posts
scolley, don't I see you hanging around SD sometimes? :)

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
scolley, don't I see you hanging around SD sometimes? :)
You betcha! It's a discus site.

I ask my planted tank questions here. I ask my discus questions at Simply. I ask my really hard plumbing/high tech questions at Reef Central. And I split my questions about discus IN planted tanks between here and Simply - depending on if it is more discus or plant related.

Seems appropriate, right? Ask the question in the forum that is most focused on the question.

fishtastic - sorry about the highjack. But DO go ask at simply.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You betcha! It's a discus site.

I ask my planted tank questions here. I ask my discus questions at Simply. I ask my really hard plumbing/high tech questions at Reef Central. And I split my questions about discus IN planted tanks between here and Simply - depending on if it is more discus or plant related.

Seems appropriate, right? Ask the question in the forum that is most focused on the question.

fishtastic - sorry about the highjack. But DO go ask at simply.
:proud: :icon_mrgr

1 - 14 of 14 Posts