The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have 3 tanks in total, 2 are completely fine with maintaining temp during cold weather, but my Betta tank struggles sometimes.

Currently has a 25w heater for 30L of water, have always gone by 2w for every gallon roughly but this one just isn’t keeping temp, have to set at around 27 Celsius to get 22-23 Celsius, going to go out tomorrow and get the first 50w heater I can find just to replace for the next couple of weeks whilst it’s colder than usual, but had me thinking, is there any discrepancy with using overpowered heaters such as higher than usual fluctuations in temperature as it switches on and off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could use two 25-watt heaters instead of one 50-watt. That way, should one malfunction and stay on, at least you won't cook your fish.
I had a look at all my other heaters today, one is just your usual heater and the other two are both from the company Dennerle and both of them seemed to be struggling, one was 50w on a 60L & other is 25w on a 30L so went out today and bought the regular type of heater and guard for the 30L & got a 100w which is keeping the temp perfect now, I think it’s a little overpowered but the heater recommends it for 30L-75L.

I always temp check my tanks daily with a probe I got from a local tool store as it’s more accurate anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Heater size is dependant on water volume and the desired temperature increase. There are plenty of formulas and guides online. It's better than guessing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts