The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

So I have been in the hobby for 4 months and thanks to this forum I have learnt so much! Here is a photo of my tank when I started compared to a photo I took last week..

Before:

Now:

I am working on the hra to try turn a nice red - I will be cutting off the top parts and re planting them several times, and also the hygtophilia siamenesis should grow to a good since in the coming weeks. I just trimmed the monte carlo yest so its shorter in real life.

Looking for improvements. your comments would be really appreciated!!

·
Registered
785 Posts
I would place them where two limbs branch (a crotch) or else along the limbs. Lots of good placement examples here on TPT or on YouTube. The bottom line is that it be pleasing to your own eye!

Most use superglue to attach. Lots of YouTube videos for doing that also. Just try to use a small amount of the glue as it will turn white for a while, fading as it cures.

You might want to drain the water to a very low level as it is much easier to attach them when not under water.

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
610 Posts
Also - Should I change the background to black instead of opaque to bring out more the plants colours?
I have both black and frosted white opaque tanks. Throw a black sheet of plastic behind for a day or two and decide which you like better. You're the one that has to look at it every day so make it something that brings you joy/peace/pride.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Nice looking scape. I wish I could get plants to carpet and get those nice reds on stem plants.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Looking great! I know you said that the some of the plants are still filling in, but my suggestion would be to fill in the gaps in the background more and decide on either a convex or concave “horizon”. Based on how your driftwood is, and the lines those are creating, I think a concave layout would be easier with the wood contouring that shape. I would also shift or grow out the center red bunch a bit more out of center to either the left or right. It looks a maybe little too balanced right now. The green (limnophilia and hygro?) will still look good peeking out the top depending on the direction you go and it will additionally add another layer of depth. I think adding buce where the wood meets the rock can help fill up that are more as well.
Awesome job on this. I really like your hardscape. Plants are looking clean and healthy!

·
Registered
54 Posts
The plants look great! Just an idea for a rescape when the stems fill in; you might remove all of the driftwood and have just the stems planted behind the rocks and ground cover. You might have to rearrange the rocks a bit perhaps stand one up vertically. This would be if you wanted to try an Iwagumi style tank down the road.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi all,

So I have been in the hobby for 4 months and thanks to this forum I have learnt so much! Here is a photo of my tank when I started compared to a photo I took last week..

Before:

View attachment 1030751

Now:

View attachment 1030752

I am working on the hra to try turn a nice red - I will be cutting off the top parts and re planting them several times, and also the hygtophilia siamenesis should grow to a good since in the coming weeks. I just trimmed the monte carlo yest so its shorter in real life.

Looking for improvements. your comments would be really appreciated!!
Really lovely scape! I wish I could pull off something similar, but then I would have to go high-tech most likely. I don't enjoy looking at all the tech in the background.

Unless you are going for the "dead withering" tree look, some moss would also look nice, I guess. Overall, great tank!

I have both black and frosted white opaque tanks. Throw a black sheet of plastic behind for a day or two and decide which you like better. You're the one that has to look at it every day so make it something that brings you joy/peace/pride.
I work with colored carton board from the school supplies section. Cut to size, I can have it all: black or blue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Awesome looking tank! I'm jealous.

A purely ascetic take it or leave it suggestion: add a few bits of the middle red focal plant (is that Rotala?) to "grow" out of the left and right driftwood—giving a more consistent appearance that "this plant grows on this wood" or "these are little trees with red branches and leaves." Obviously I wouldn't want to detract from the centerpiece plant, but maybe just a few sprigs on the upper parts of the outer driftwood pieces.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.