The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This tank is located in my office at work, it is just your basic 10G with Flourite black, 3 painted sides and some random Seriyu stone I had laying around. It has 2x2L DIY CO2 bottles I use a low concentration of champagne yeast in each so my results are very stable switching out 1 of the bottles each week. I dose root medic 3 times per week and lighting is a 40watt PC.

Here is when I tore the tank down and cleaned it up after a summer of neglect, didnt want parents and students to see the algae filled mess it was.:icon_redf
8-1-11

Here the tank is today:

I am pretty happy with the foreground, once it fills in I think it will be nice. I am debating on filling in the entire back with the Rotala but then I am curious how it will look with the Rotala just being on the left and the Crypts on the right once they are fully grown. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im just a glorified paperwork slave/disciplinary aide...aka Im a guidance counselor. I am fortunate enough to have 2 tanks in my office...this 10G and I just setup a 5G pico saltwater over the summer. I am contemplating a 29/37G to fill a space and maybe do a planted Thorichthys sp. tank with some wild livebearers

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Plants look fabulous and happy! I'd move the Anubias out from the middle, its a bit distracting and maybe move some of the foreground plants out of the way or to the side to open up the middle more to see the stone (such pretty stone!) I like the idea of each one on the sides like you mentioned (trying to keeping the middle a bit more open?)

Duff

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions all!

I may leave the anubias for the time being I was in hopes it would grow downward toward the substrate and offer a leaf contrast. I will definitely thin out the foreground so the rock can be seen a bit more. Keep the thoughts coming :)

·
Registered
4,391 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Other than having very cool stones that you can't really see and appreciate, I think the tank looks awesome. I need serious help on my 10g and I might try some of what you did although I need my big masses of java moss for my shrimp.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the pruning link, I admit I suck at trimming...Ive never been quite sure what to do other than remove old leaves and keep stems from growing taller than the waterline.

They are Chili rasbora, I have around 24 in the tank. I also have 10 dwarf zebra hovering loaches, 2 otos and 3 nerites. Sadly I am thinking of adding another dozen Chili rasbora...I am sure I will win the overstocking of the year award for this tank. I am running a Fluval 105 so atleast there is that.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Msjinkzd, I get most of my small critters from her. They get a ton of live enriched brine...I credit that with their coloration boost.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks!

I am going to do a huge trim on the Rotala later today, should I cut off and replant the tops or just cap them? The bottoms are not in pristine condition(thanks aquariumplants.com). I will also thin out the foreground and do some landscaping.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.