The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up this pretty girl for $4 about a month and a half ago at one of our famous box chain stores. She was looking quite good in her little cup (I'm guessing she probably wasn't there too long before I found her). I really like her form and color, and she's a lively little thing. Of course, the pictures don't do her justice (moves a lot + using the phone camera). So the question is, do you think it would be a bad idea to breed her to a high quality red & white CT male that I have, since I don't know her lineage and all? It is not a big deal to me, seeing as how I like keeping her as a pet first and foremost, but I was just wondering what the consensus would be. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
First of all, I know little about bettas, Second i've never bred, nor tried to breed bettas

From What i think, it wouldn't hurt to try it. If you get some bad offspring then you know that you at least tried, and hell, maybe you could get some really nice offspring that makes you want to continue breeding the pair.

Of course i know little in the way of betta fish so my thoughts could be very wrong, id wait for someone with more experience to say something on the topic before you give it a shot.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'd say since there is almost no chance of inbreeding it will probably at least result in healthy offspring if you can get them to do it. Is the male a store bought as well? It is interesting to remember that the colorful bettas we are used to resulted from selective breeding and basically inbreeding so I guess there could be some chances of having degraded genetics but I would think they are more likely from different breeders and so not related. I have no idea where chain store bettas are bred so I can't really speak to that.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
It's all about what you want to attain from the breeding. If you want show quality fish, chances are slim, but basing it off of her form and finnage, you'll get some nice, balanced crowntails.

Color might be problem though because the cambodian coloration is quire common :(

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's all about what you want to attain from the breeding. If you want show quality fish, chances are slim, but basing it off of her form and finnage, you'll get some nice, balanced crowntails.

Color might be problem though because the cambodian coloration is quire common :(
Nope, not concerned about creating show quality or anything...more like just having fun with the hobby and possibly creating some nice pets. Here's a picture of the male. He's an import, not a store bought.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
That's a gorgeous male, and I think a pairing with that lovely female would likely produce some great-looking offspring !
Why don't you give it a go. I would.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Most chain store bettas ARE in fact imports anyway.
The quality can be there, just like the ones on AB, just not hand picked and photographed, and "made special".

It's just the whole shipping/disease/stress/cramped quarters and care of the livestock going to a chain that is the deterrent. Also, you are never 100% sure of age. (You're not 100% sure on the imports on AB you may purchase, either)

My store bought crown tail could be your import's brother :)

- Stef*

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. :)
I believe I'll give it a try! I currently have hm plakat fry I'm taking care of first, but when they're all settled, I'll try these two next. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts