The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm just getting into the hobby. This is for my second tank, which is a 5gal shallow rimless. My idea right now is to go with a light sand or gravel bed that is deep on one side and sloping steeply.

For plants, I'm looking at water lettuce, which I gather don't like a lot of flow.

For this reason I'm considering a sponge filter instead of a HOB. Now, the trouble is where to put it - I won't be able to put it in back since the ground should slope up and be quite shallow in back. What I'd like to do is have some kind of partition for the back corner, that the sponge filter can be lowered into, and gravel filled around it.

Is there any agreed upon best way to do that? A big quarter chunk of PVC pipe would do nicely, if I had one. As an added bonus all the chocowater would stay in the partition when lifting the filter out, so I can hose it up. And of course, I wonder if the filter would be able to function well if lowered into a chamber like this.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have heard of a below gravel filter. Though I’ve had no experience with it.
A hang on the back wouldn’t hurt too much plus in some you can customize the flow.
another good idea for a hang on the the back would be if you separate the water lettuce by using a pvc pipe, which you don’t have but the are like 2 dollars on eBay.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
If this is a 45S then I would suggest dumping the matten filter or sponge filter for a canister filter. I have a DOOA H23 (essentially a 60S) and even though that tank is half again as big as a 45S, there just is not a lot of real estate to stick something as bulky and ugly as a sponge filter. A canister filter with either the stock pipes (or better yet a nano set of stainless steel lily pipes) and a ball valve on the output to reduce the flow will serve you much better.

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
626 Posts

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
So I just got a 1.5g, 12" long tank. going to do a DIY HOB filter using a hang on tank breeder box. it has three partitions, going to do actual filter stuffs in the first. probably just make the second and third one big one and put a little substrate and plants in there. maybe the heater as well if I can. and a clip on light.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
That's a cool idea
I should be getting this this week. probably in the next two days. I will post what comes of it on this thread.

I really am proud of this idea. there is so much room in a breeder.. it will be a mini sump. and the only thing in the tank itself will be the breeder intake. the flow will stay down as well. and I love how easily (I think) it will be to have emerged plants coming up the back.

I actually bought two. one for this project and one more. cause this product seems so useful now. I am also going to try breeding. I have 2 ten gallon tanks that I set up for that. but this will allow for more flexibility down the road. Or just have another for another nano tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.