The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been looking at pictures of other people's tanks, so I decided to post a pic of my own. All of my tanks try to be planted, but this is the only one that has ever looked halfway decent. I am fighting a battle with algae right now (that started when I upgraded from a T5NO to a T5HO), but I think the tank still looks okay. This tank has 4 Xystochromis sp " Blue Fire Fin", 6 Odessa barbs, 2 calico ancistrus, 3 otos, and a random guppy. It is overstocked, but the fish all get along and the water parameters are fine. I would like to eventually move the fish (plus a few more Odessa barbs) over to a 40 breeder. I am not sure what I would put in here... maybe some Celebes or Furcata Rainbows, if I can find them.

Anyways, any thoughts, comments, or suggestions are welcome.

* 9/18 Rescape update in post 11

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
It looks good.

And if you are pleased with it then ... All the better!

Improvement in the hobby is a great and noble goal ... don't set the bar so high for yourself that you become discouraged and quit.

Best wishes,
Wes

Best wishes,
Wes

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tie some moss to the wood :)
I have a ball of java moss in another tank that is probably a little bigger than a softball. I am not sure how to attach it, though. Green thread? If so, does it need to be a special kind? My biggest problem, though, is where on the wood do I put it? I tried putting some moss on it a couple of months ago, but I didn't think it looked very good. I also just kind of wedged it in there, and a fish ended up knocking it loose.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also can't decide on which way to turn the wood. I like the way it is now, because it angles up towards the middle. The wood is partially hollow, though, and I think the other side looks neater. You can see a small opening in the bottom of the picture above. It goes through to the big hollow area that you can see in the pictures below.

I think the tank looked better back then. Most of the plants from then are no longer in the tank. The blue fire fins were to boisterous and uprooted the plants.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
which ever way you move your wood, be sure to burry it a little =] i like your tank and agree with trimming and replanting stems, however java fern or anubias would be better than moss on that drift wood =]

i will also add that i use any old thread i can get a hold of, works fine just wash it in vinegar first if you're worried about chemicals

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, I plan on tying some moss to the driftwood. I am not sure where, other than probably on the ends of both of the branches.

Is there a plant that could look good growing out of the split in the top? There is a bowl shaped depression there, and in the past I tried putting some substrate up there and planted a plant. The substrate wasn't deep enough for the plant to root well, though, and my boisterous fish knocked it loose. Should I try something there that can attach to the wood itself, instead of using substrate? If so, should I just use moss, or something else? I am not even sure which plants can attach to wood.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Anubius would fit nicely in that spot and will attach to the wood - but I would wait until algae is under control since they are notorious for collecting the stuff. I think the tank is fantastic looking, but then it also suits my style perfectly. Like Xmas suggested trimming and propagating those stem plants and developing a nice dense background will really make it come together, IMO.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rescape

I just rescaped the tank. I turned the big piece of driftwood around and put it on the other side of the tank. I like it this way better since it shows the huge hollow area inside of it. I moved all the plants to the left side behind the driftwood. Then I pulled some plants from one of my other tanks to put on the right side. I moved two of the swords, and took out the other big plant and the smaller piece of driftwood.

I think I like it, but what does everyone else think? Do you like it, dislike it, etc? Does it look better than it did, or do you think I made it look worse?

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I still plan on tying some moss to the drift wood, probably later this week. I am also not quite happy withe the way the right side looks. The needle leaf red plant (don't know its name) is planted right in between the fluffy green plant and the plant on the left (sorry, I don't really know ANY of my plants names). Instead of growing straight up, though, the top of it is going out towards the middle of the tank. From the side view, you can see that it is very angled, with the top being closer to the front than the back. Is there any way to fix this?

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
I like the 1st shot and the last - torn between the two... Also - Loctite gel superglue for the moss (i've also used it for java ferns) works like a charm.

Be careful though, you can easily end up with moss glued to your fingers. Let the wood dry for 20 minutes or so, dry off the moss with paper towel - use a little dab of gel glue lay small sections 2-3 strands about an inch long over the glue, using a toothpick to help. repeat , repeat repeat. The superglue will turn white in the tank but in about 2 weeks it will go away and the moss will take off! I have use this method for Fissiden and am very happy. good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.