The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going to be going pressurized soon, and want to also remove in-tank equipment if I can keep high diffusion rates. I don't want a ton of fog / bubbles, and was hoping for some insight from you professional CO2'ers.

I did a search, but couldn't find any info. Sorry if I've overlooked a thread!

I'm considering this ebay item. My question is, could I install it on the suction line for better diffusion, or would that affect my good bacteria in the filter media?

Is it normally installed on suction or pressure line?

Does this create fog / bubbles?

My goal is to achieve max dissolved CO2, and little in-tank equipment. I'm VERY handy with DIY, so if there is something better I could rig up- lemmie know that too please.

Thanks very much in advance!

Happy Holidays!

Link for convenience, no affiliation: [Ebay Link Removed]

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
I use that atomizer. People will debate for days about wether its good to inject into the canister filter. I put mines on the output. It does give the water a fog but its not that bad and does provide a very good spread of co2 into my tank. I'm very pleased with it. Why not a DIY co2 reactor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
I also use that atomizer on my 29 gallon . It does create a misty appearance not too bad but it works great and best of all it's inline. Like the other poster said it is easy to gas your fish with it so adjust co2 slowly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies-

BTW- "gas my fish" means that the CO2 concentration is too high, correct? I don't mind being careful; I'd rather have it set up for the best efficiency.

I do have a drop checker in the tank now.

What's the difference in these types of atomizers than the in-tank disk types? Only in / out of the tank?

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
I'm going to be going pressurized soon, and want to also remove in-tank equipment if I can keep high diffusion rates. I don't want a ton of fog / bubbles, and was hoping for some insight from you professional CO2'ers.
There is a fog that will be coming out of your outflow. Here's what mine looks like with an in-line atomizer:

It's also my opinion that these should be looked upon as 'disposable'. They don't have that great a track record with longevity. The diffuser can start to produce bigger bubbles or the plastic can crack/fail.

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
Anything with a ceramic diffuser, "Atomic" or not, will wear down over time. Additionally, if you want to avoid the "7-Up" look, you need to avoid diffusers altogether, or extend the line far beyond the inline diffuser (to give the microbubbles time to be absorbed by the water).

If you want to avoid the 7-Up look, and yet you're still concerned about "best efficiency" (which actually means the most diffused CO2 without harming the fish, rather than some obscure balance), and you don't want a reaaaaaaly long output line from your canister, you'll want a reactor. You can buy a prefab reactor, or look into the DIY models, all of which work very well:

Cerges' Reactor
Rex Griggs Reactor
Barr Venturi Reactor

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.