The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am planning to get a FilStar XP3 canister and will hook it up inline with a Turbo-Twist 18W for my 55G. What's your opinion with this setup? If you have similar a setup please show us a picture.

The flow rate of XP3 is 350GPH and 110GPH is needed for Turbo-Twist 18W to get rid of parasites. How will you accomplish this and make both efficient at the same time?

thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the 9watt turbo twist hooked in-line with an xp2 on a 29 gallon. I've had to use it only once for green water so I cant speak regarding its use for parasites. I adjusted the flow on the spray bar so as to allow more water contact time in the uv, worked great. You may want to think twice about installing it in-line, it will affect the flow from your xp3. One of these days I'll take mine "off-line" and just hang it on there if I ever need it again.

Frank

·
Registered
110 Posts
The problem is to run an effective UV for parasites you need to turn down the flow on the output of your canister. If you don't want flow loss you need to upsize your UV. My Turbo Twist 36W is recommended to run at around 290 for parasites so it works fine inline with most larger canisters. Another alternative although I haven't tried this is to T off your output into a ball valve that will redirect some of the outflow into the UV. You will lose less flow this way but you will then have two returns back into your tank. I just run my UV's with their own dedicated feeder pump so I don't have to worry about the above. Plus you can move it around to different tanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts