The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been going through posts for what seems like forever and I still can't make a decision. I need a new filter for my 10g. It currently has a whisper 10 HOB filter and there is not nearly enough flow in the tank IMO. I've thought of just getting a powerhead but I don't want to take up any more room in the tank. All the other HOB filters I've seen for bigger tanks have a split output and they seem too large to fit. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Get an Eheim 2213 or XP1 .remember this hobby is also a trap:icon_lol: !!! or as someone here put it "a slippery slope "you are going to get bigger tanks and equipments ,more fish ,plants lighting ,so on ......

·
Are these real?
15,706 Posts
I'd suggest an AquaClear Mini or the next size up. I have been using a Mini for the last couple of years and it is just right for a planted, lightly stocked tank of that size. Easy to clean (I just stuff it full of sponges, they last several years), cheap ($13.50 on sale sometimes), reliable, quiet, no problems.

I even bubble CO2 into the inlet. Not 100% efficient, but works well.

Now I even use it as a fertilizer doser.

I think a canister filter on a 10gal is what's commonly known as "overkill".

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I agree with Wasserpest. Go with an AC30 on your 10 gallon. I have two on my two 10 gallons and they're great.

Speaking of overkill, I have a Fluval 404 and an Eheim 2213 on my 40 gallon tank right now...the Magnum 350 is running w/ DE powder for polishing...overkill? ;)

·
Registered
676 Posts
I really don't think a 2213 would be overkill for a 10 gallon, especially when compared to a Xp1!

Although I do agree it would be a lot of flow, that's not always a bad thing so long as it's not over kill. What's the GPH on a 2213? 93 GPH?? I forgot . . .

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help. I decided to go with the aquaclear 50, it was $2 cheaper and with the coupon I ended up only paying around $15 for it. You do have a good point I can always cut down the flow but it isn't possible to increase the flow without extra equipment. I have the 10% coupon code for petco if anybody wants it. I usually don't buy from there but they seemed to have the lowest price I could find. The code is affreg I think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts