The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently received a Mr. Aqua 12G Long tank as a present and am trying to find a good LED light fixture for it. I've never used LEDs before; I've just been running some clamp lights and CFL/ Florescent bulbs on my previous tanks. Some advice will be much appreciated!

So far, I'm leaning towards the Finnex Planted + 24/7 SE lights. I like the lighting spectrum, especially the lowered yellow in the SE. Other than the addition of the true red LEDs and the redesigned mounting system, what other difference is there between the SE and the Planted +? I've been reading lots of reviews on it's previous model, the Planted +, and so far the only major concern I have is the lifespan of the fixture. Quite a few people have reported the light breaking right after the warranty ends. Basically, I want to know if the durability of the SE has been improved from the Planted +.

I'm planning on using aquasoil in the tank and will be dosing with Seachem ferts and using liquid CO2. I want to try growing a Glossostigma carpet; don't know how well that will turn out but will see! Other plants I plan to get/ have include: Cryptocoryne wendtii, Amazon Swords, Java Fern, Java Moss, Duckweed, and some Anubias. Will the light fixture be more than okay for these plants?

Thank you!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I actually just placed an order for the same tank. I ordered the 24/7 CC for it. Hopefully it works. I heard good things about the light and saw many youtube videos with people using the se version and the original planted + and all had good success. The height of the 12gallon is not that much so i think 24/7 CC would be best option as you can change the individual channel intensity.

You should start a tank build thread. I love the 12gallon long tank. Will be amazing!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also just got my Mr Aqua 12 gallon long and starting the search for lighting. Is the 24/7 CC 30" enough or should I go the full tank width with the 36" 27/4 CC?
No where's need deciding which plants to go into the aquascape yet. Plenty of past experiance with fresh and salt but haven't had a tank for 10 years.

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
There is really no reason to get any 24/7 model except the CC one..............

·
Registered
34 Posts
i have a original PP 24/7 on my 12 gallon long, and even with 4" risers, its still too much light for my staurogyne repens - they all lay down! cant get them to grow in a bush, more of a carpet.
that said, if the newer version allows you to change how much light you are putting out in the 24/7 mode, then that should work wonderfully! i enjoy mine quite a lot.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
i have a original PP 24/7 on my 12 gallon long, and even with 4" risers, its still too much light for my staurogyne repens - they all lay down! cant get them to grow in a bush, more of a carpet.
that said, if the newer version allows you to change how much light you are putting out in the 24/7 mode, then that should work wonderfully! i enjoy mine quite a lot.
I agree, these lights are bright. I just have the standard version PP but I use a dimmer for mine. Any tank that is less than 12" deep , this light is going to be in the high range (75-100 PAR). The deepest area in my tank is 10" and this light was way to intense. Grew some algae really well. lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh my, should have checked on this thread more! Thank you so much for all your guys' suggestions :)) I did get the 24/7 CC. Loving it so far, I just have to figure out how much light to give my plants haha.

You should start a tank build thread. I love the 12gallon long tank. Will be amazing!
I actually did start a thread! It's my first time doing one so might not be well documented haha
heres the link: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12-tank-journals/1229626-mr-aqua-12g-long.html

I am trying to grow a carpet so that should work well for me. How did you figure out how much light your plants needed? Just curious on your experience. I'm dry starting right now so algae shouldn't be a problem, but I'm worried my marsilea is getting slightly well-done haha

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am trying to grow a carpet so that should work well for me. How did you figure out how much light your plants needed? Just curious on your experience. I'm dry starting right now so algae shouldn't be a problem, but I'm worried my marsilea is getting slightly well-done haha

Well, to be honest, i guessed.

With the light as it is now, my Styrogen Repens lays flat, instead of growing as bushes... i could probably raise it up some more!

i keep eyeballing this product on amazon :
https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Aq...433857&sr=8-27&keywords=aquarium+light+stands

That product should work with the Finnex, and give you the adjust-ability you need.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, to be honest, i guessed.

With the light as it is now, my Styrogen Repens lays flat, instead of growing as bushes... i could probably raise it up some more!

i keep eyeballing this product on amazon :
https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Aq...433857&sr=8-27&keywords=aquarium+light+stands

That product should work with the Finnex, and give you the adjust-ability you need.
Whoa, good find! I'll be eyeballing it now, too hehe. Just in case I need it once the tank gets filled, which probably won't be till April (super long dry-start). Thanks :)) And the marsilea is actually starting to make a pretty strong come back! lots of new sprouts and runners. same with the hydrocotyle and pearl weed. I think they've at least doubled since I last posted on this thread. The planted + CC was a good choice :grin2:

Now, I just really need to figure out how to customized it haha. Still cant manage to get the settings saved. And it seems as if the light never really turns off around 1-5 AM (I'm awake painting/doing homework all night often. Life of an art student:icon_wink) Wondering if its an error with the light or something I did. Will have to play with it more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts