The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a pair of twenty tall tanks and I'd like to replace them with one larger tank thus cutting down on the space the pair of them currently occupy. I'm dealing with a corner space so Aqueon's 54 gallon corner aquarium (39" x 27.4" x 23high) makes sense and that's what I'm leaning towards but it costs twice as much as a 56 gallon column (30x18x24high) and presents a multitude of challenges in terms of equipment like cutting a custom glass top and figuring out how to light the dang thing. The 56 gallon is a full 18" front to back giving me the depth of scape I want but its still a significantly less alluring space to plant. Both would be suitable for the planned pair of angels and school of Harlequin Rasboras. What would you do?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Corner tank for me. That is if you have the right corner for it.
If it were you, how would you light such an odd shape with LEDs? Two fixtures?

The 54 gallon corner tank's dimensions don't add up to 54 gallons of water volume. Must be typos.
Calculating Aquarium Volume - The First Tank Guide - How Can I Figure Out How Much Water My Fish Tank Holds?
Aquarium Volume Calculator
Measurements are as per Aqueon's website.

Aqueon » Corner Aquariums | Products

Bear in mind that the 54 corner is a bowfront and if you use the Pythagorean theorem (both straight sides are 27.4") you'll notice they're giving the diagonal measurement of the front rather than the partial circumfrence so a simple LxWxH calculation isn't going to do it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have 56 gallon column planted aquarium in the corner of our living room. A black background was placed on both the back and the side of the tank that faces the wall. Going this route allowed me to use two full sized led light fixtures. Space was limited, and this allowed me to go with the largest tank possible for my space. The 18 inch front to back dimension of this tank provides good viewing from both sides too!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.