The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FTS as of 11/16

Sorry if anyone is annoyed that I started a new thread for this tank. But I realized two thigs. One; The old thread annoyed me and 2; The tank is a 30breeder and not a 40breeder. And I wanted to have a fresh thread with the new name now that I'm not going to be making many more changes.

Specs:
Tank: used 40 gallon breeder
Filter: Aquatop canister 365gph
Lighting: 4x18watt T5NO 2x10,000k 2x8,000k
Substrate: dirt mixed with filter sand capped with activflora
Co2: Ista 95g disposable kit (currently not on the tank until I but refills)

Flora:
Rotala nanjenshan
Rotala wallichii
Ludwiga sp. red
Ludwiga glandulosa
Lysimachia nummularia ‘Aurea’
Lobelia cardinalis "Dwarf"
Green tiger lotus
Crypt wendtii "green"
Staurogyne repens
Lindernia rotundifolia variegated
Hygro pinnaifida
Bolbitis bolbitis heudelotii
Myriophyllum aquaticum
Anubias nana "gold"

Fauna:
1x baby bristlenose pleco
2x ottos
12x Serpae tetras
12x neon tetras
1x german blue ram
1x dater tetra
1x fancy guppy
ramshorn snails

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice setup! How do you like the AquaTop canister?
Thanks. So far I love it. It hasn't given me any problems and is working very well

Autumn hills?
I had posted a pic in the low tech forum awhile back and someone said the tank reminded them of autumn. So I thought it'd make a good name

hey
very nice tank I love my bristle nose there great!
got any updates?
Thanks. I like my bristle nose I think it's a calico. But it up roots plants now and then which gets on my nerves.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a crazy few weeks. With the birth of my second daughter, visiting relatives,thanksgiving, unplanned trip out of town, a trip to the ER, and a bunch of other stuff. So I haven't had time to mess with my tanks. This tank ran out of co2 a few weeks ago and I did get to do a much needed trim until just the other day. The lack of co2 resulted in my tiger lotus growing out of control and the tank not looking very good in general. But I finally got o do my trim and water change and figured I'd share some pics.

Here's it is pre-trim seriously over grown and messy

And here are some pics post trim,water change, and refilled co2. It came out better than I thought.
FTS

Left side

Right side

I like the way it's looking right now. But, I am considering a complete change to go to a lower maintenance scape. Taking out almost all the plants and replacing them with slow growers like crypts and anubias. But I'm on the fence. What do you guys think

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Your tank has a lot of potential. You have some really nice plants to work with but dont be afraid of hacking those stems down, replanting the tops and letting them get nice and bushy. Its just lacking a "full" feeling because of the lone stems running along the tank. Also it you may want to minimize the stones or maybe get some smaller ones. In a tank that size those big rocks take up a lot of prime plant real estate.

Ive had tanks all stems, then conversely ive had tanks all crypts and ferns and anubias. Each has their pros and cons but a mix of both really helps make a scape complete. So before you go changing the whole thing, try to improve your original vision, maybe get some driftwood and a couple more crypts or ferns. Slowly work in new plants and see what works and what you like, so you dont go from a scape you kind of want to go somewhere else with to something you may not really like once you get there.

Not trying to discourage you from change, just offering advice based on my experiences growing as an aquascaper.

Good work though your plants and fish look healthy.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I stopped the co2 and let everything grow wild for a little bit. And you can see what I ended up with. Very jungle-y. I just trimmed everything way back I'll post a picture of that soon. But I think I'm going to completely tear this tank down and start over soon. Here's the overgrown madness.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Damm, that does look like a jungle. why would you do it over it looks nice as it is. i would add some jungle val and maybe try and give it a nice carpet of Hairgrass of Baby tears and have a nice intresting peice of wood where your rocks are (on the left) and have more of and Iwagami theme on the right side with it sloping up and a nice carpet with some cabomba and swords at the back. But its you tank so it will look great what ever you do with it :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.