The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a stupid question but I just have a fear of a doing something wrong and sending my cylinder off flying like a rocket through my ceiling :icon_eek:. I use a 5lb cylinder and milwaukee regulator. How do I know the cylinder is fully open? I know I sound stupid but I have to ask. I turn the knob on the cylinder about one and half rotations. Like as soon as I see the high pressure gauge have a reading, I do about another turn and stop because I fear I am going to unscrew the whole knob of the cylinder. Am I supposed to keep turning until I can't go anymore? Or will the knob just keep going and going until it falls off and then who knows? Sorry to sound so inexperienced, but I fear that if I keep turning it, the knob will come off the cylinder and the cylinder will open up and a rush off gas will come out propelling the tank like a rocket.

Sorry, I am so used to diy that I am not too familiar with the correct methods of pressurized and i am setting up a pressurized system on my 5.5 nano.

Thanks guys for helping someone who knows nothing about pressurized gasses or cylinders.

·
Super Moderator
11,996 Posts
After you see a reading on the high pressure gauge, you can stop opening the CO2 cylinder.

Before you open your CO2 cylinder, ensure that the knob on the Milwaukee regulator is backed all the way off (i.e. turn it counter clockwise until it is loose; it may fall off, but you can just screw the knob back on). This way, when you turn on the CO2 gas from the cylinder, it will not damage the delivery pressure gauge.

After you have a reading on the high pressure gauge, you can slowly begin to turn the knob on the Milwaukee regulator clockwise. This will slowly open up the valve inside the regulator, and you should start to see a pressure reading on your delivery pressure gauge.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get a reading on the high pressure after only a quarter turn. Is that fully open or should I be going past that? It just seems so little of a turn that I thought that wouldn't be fully opening it, but I get a reading on the higher gauge so I figured it was right,

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you can turn the knob on the tank and twist it off, you can probably catch the tank as it goes buy.:smile::smile:

·
Super Moderator
11,996 Posts
I get a reading on the high pressure after only a quarter turn. Is that fully open or should I be going past that? It just seems so little of a turn that I thought that wouldn't be fully opening it, but I get a reading on the higher gauge so I figured it was right,
It is considered "open". Opening the CO2 tank valve more will not allow more gas to flow, etc.

As long as you get a reading on your high pressure gauge, you are fine.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
You can't twist the knob off. Notice how the handle is screwed onto the valve stem? The valve stem does not come out of the valve. The handle can be unscrewed from the valve stem, but you can not inadvertently remove the valve stem causing it to shoot all over. Promise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts