The Planted Tank Forum banner

Open wound on tetra

3162 15
Two weeks ago one of my male kerri tetras suffered too high of a dose of flubendazole (whoops) in quarantine and didn't take it very well (symptoms were lethargy and fin rot/nipping from his tank mates). I did frequent water changes, didn't observe signs of nematodes, and eventually moved him to the display tank after he started improving. He and his five other mates had been quarantined just shy of 6 weeks up until the flu treatment.

A week in the display tank and his fins were healing but he still wasn't schooling with the others. Then I noticed a small white spot on one gill, and fearing ich, immediately moved him into a 5 gallon isolation tank. There have been no signs of ich or other symptoms in the display tank yet.

He has now been in isolation for a week and still isn't doing well but I no longer think it's ich. Symptoms now include: minor lethargy, slight pop eye, and now most recently mouth rot and an open wound on the side of his face that I initially saw the spot on. His appetite is fine and he moves around well when engaged at the glass.

The mouth rot does does NOT include any fluffy or fungus-like growths. Rather, his lips are gray and look worn away. The lesion on one side of his face/gill has a slight pink tinge and looks like flaps are peeling away. That, or it looks like a combination of growth and lesion. It's hard for me to tell.

I was just going to see if he could recover on his own, but now with the worsening lesions I want to know what's wrong. Does this sound like a bacterial infection or something else? How would you treat it? So far I have been doing 50% water changes every day. Ammonia and nitrites are 0 in all tanks, nitrates are low.

'Good' side:

Bad side (of course I can't get a clear pic of the side that counts :icon_roll):

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Methylene blue dip would probably help him heal. I don't know what the problem is but methylene blue can help a lot, as well as promote healing. If you r sure not Columnaris I would turn up th heat and increase the salinity. Do your research on how to effectively use each of these treatments.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think it's columnaris mainly because it's been a week and he's still alive, and his behavior and appetite are improving. Even his pop eye is quite a bit better. Wouldn't he be dead already or at least have more grave symptoms? He's not darting all over the place but he's definitely swimming around in all levels of the water column.

That being said, his open wound was worse when I returned from being away over the weekend, so that is progressing.

·
Registered
243 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great article, thanks for linking it! I won't rule out columnaris and I'd like to start with a salt bath treatment.

I have non-iodized salt on hand. That article suggested a 1% salt solution to kill columnaris, and while I'm not sure if this IS columnaris or not, perhaps 1% is a good solution to start with? I have no plants in this isolation tank to worry about.

Can I add the solution to the water column and leave it there, or should it be reduced/removed after a period of time? I've never done a salt bath before, so any links to reputable articles on the matter is welcome. Or personal experience. :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most columnaris dont kill fish over a week. It can take months and too the looks of it, your fish has columnaris
What is making you think this is for sure columnaris? This tetra was in my 40 gallon display tank for several days, so if it's columnaris then that means it's probably in my display tank as well. :c

The other tetras in the display tank all look relatively healthy and are active. One female does have a slight kink/dip to her spine starting after her dorsal fin.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't used the salt yet, but I thought any non-iodized would be safe?

Here are some photos of the kink in the female. Her fin edges have always been a bit ragged and that hasn't changed in over a month. The spot on her tail is a part of the fin, not a growth. I attributed these to be scars from before I got her. The splits in the dorsal fin were from when they were in quarantine (they got very nippy trying to establish a hierarchy). It was pretty torn, so the translucent parts are new growth.

Comparison photo from approximately 3 weeks ago:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My LFS didn't have any methylene blue in stock, so I picked up Acriflavine MS instead. I found several sources that say it's an alternative to meth blue and that it's good for bacterial infections and columnaris. Still not sure what this tetra has, but acriflavine is supposedly good as a bactericide, fungicide, and an antiprotozoal.

I treated the hospital tank to 1/2 tsp (for approximately 4.5-5 gallons) to start and am adding 4 tsp of aquarium salt as well.

Does anyone have experience with acriflavine?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the concern, jeepguy. I don't think it's mycobacterium right now, but I'm being cautious about washing my hands after touching any water/equipment. I definitely don't want to get sick myself! :)

It's day three of the acriflavine and salt treatment. The acriflavine turns the water a crazy neon yellow-green color. My husband thinks this is going to turn the tetra into a mutant teenaged (hopefully not ninja) fish. :) Anyway, he's pretty active and gets really excited at feeding time. I'd say he's acting normally, but without a school of other tetras for comparison it's still hard to say.

I noticed the day I started treatment that there was a veeery slight fuzzy texture to the wound on his external gill flap. I'm not sure if this is a fungal growth or columnaris, but the acriflavine can reportedly help with both. At any rate it the fuzz seems to have improved a little and I can't tell if it's still there anymore.

One of the scales covering the gills at the site of the wound has been progressively peeling back. There's a good size flap hanging off that is translucent, and the tissue underneath has a slight pink tinge. Not sure if the peeling is good or bad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.