The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering what the advantages / disadvantages are for having a open top tank for my 10 gallon shrimp tank.

The only fish that I have are otos, so Im not worried too much about them jumping out of the tank.

I have a glass top right now, but because if the calcium buildup, it seems like I am losing a lot of light. i usually top off the water to keep the water level high to minimize surface agitation, so Im not too worried about evaporation by having a open tank.

Would like to get some suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
I just keep my tanks with open tops because of accessibility and aesthetics. That's pretty much it other than light penetration.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The only fish that I have are otos, so Im not worried too much about them jumping out of the tank.
I've had two that jumped out a 2 inch gap in the back of my tank cover. (Didn't find them until it was too late.) I wouldn't underestimate the little guys.

My water is pretty soft so mineral build up isn't as much of a problem. The cover also reduces evaporation and helps retain heat which is pretty helpful since the room tends to be dry and a bit colder.

Also keeps out some cat hair :p

·
Registered
305 Posts
yea heat of vaporization is 540cal/g. now these are small cals not k cals but a gram a water is only 1 ML and 5 ML is a teaspoon. So you see you could loose a lot of heat from evaporation. As was discussed on another thread today make sure you have a top for the occasinal power failure so you stop evaporation and throw a blanket over the tank.

p.s. 540cal/g is at 100 C room temp is about 20 C so its not quite as bad but still evaporation causes heat loss, more than you would think. Plus if you are running AC then you can start pumping alot of water into the air and you will be paying for it several times over.

that being said I am in the process of building a 50cm cube 64g acrylic and that will be rimless and no top when being viewed. i will make a lid for when i am not around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts