The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
Because the water changes dilute the compounds with each WC.

Reactions: Bandit1200

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
If all you are doing is adding water, topping off, never a water change then the salts and minerals in the water will keep on adding up.
Look at the Dead Sea, or the Great Salt Lake as extreme examples.

Look at the Rift Lakes as mid-range examples.

-------------------------------------------------------

When you are adding something to the tank (minerals in this case) but also doing water changes, then the minerals will build up only to a certain point. There is a mathematical formula involving how much mineral you are adding through the week and how large a water change you are doing.
The simplest (from the point of doing the math) is this:
100% water change will mean the tank water matches the tap water. It may build up a bit in between water changes, but 100% water change resets it back to the tap water parameters.
Anything less than 100% will mean that the minerals will build up.

To avoid minerals building up when you are doing smaller water changes, and more topping off, use reverse osmosis, distilled or rain water for topping off. This way you are adding almost nothing to the tank, just the water.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
sorry, i have hard water. every time you add water you add minerals. if water evaporates in a finite aquarium every time you add water you add minerals they compound.
You are taking out a more concentrated level of minerals than what is being added. If you are using RO to top off then the amount is = or < than what you put back in a WC

Calcium has an important role in the biological processes of fish. It is necessary for bone formation, blood clotting and other metabolic reactions. Fish can absorb calcium for these needs directly from the water or food.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
ok, will top with distilled water. thanks,
Personally I think you're overthinking this.
I have been on well water here in the sunshine state for about 30 years. I top off with that same water. I do water changes with that water. I've not had any problems ever crop up because of it either.

I do have to admit I also haven't cycled a tank since 2000. I get home from the society auction and need a tank I just fill it up and add fish. Pretty common practice at fish farms here too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.