The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 40 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Opare's ADA 60P

Yesterday I got some Bloody Mary shrimp, 13 in total. Bought 10, and every 5=1 free and they were quite small so the dude gave me an extra one, so was pretty jazzed about that. This morning they were looking a little inactive, but as of now a few have molted and are exploring and scavenging around, some of the others are still quite docile. I'll try and get some pictures later today.
I'm starting to get hit by some diatoms, but it's reasonably managable. The snails have seemed to help out with the algae. Plant growth seems good, but the P. erectus has been a bit slow to get going. Planning to top and replant the stems next week to get rid of the emersed growth.
Also, something not so good happened. The tank I had set up for QT started leaking so today I'm off to find a new one. The cycle was stalling on it anyway. The filter had media from the main tank, but I think I added a little too much NH4OH after the first night. On day 2 I got a nitrite reading and the NH3 reading went down from 2.0ppm which is what I dosed, so I decided to restore it back to 2.0ppm. Alas this seemed to stall the cycle. We shall see what happens when I get the new tank.
EDIT: Here's a photo of them being acclimated -

In-tank photo -

The new QT tank -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Very pretty shrimp!
looking good Opare, I like the look of bloody Mary shrimp, I have seen some for sale over here in Perth, but priced at about $30 AUD each!
Thanks! Woah that is equivalent to about RM100 which is 10x the price they are here. They are really at the end of the day more colourful cherry shrimp so that is insane. Those kinda prices I would only reserve for the really high grade Caridinas.
I guess with import laws being tough, makes prices go crazy. But they aren't particularly hard to keep and breed. Saying that I have had a death. Although there has been succesful molting, I think my tank is just not quite there in maturity eventhough it is cycled.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Way too much red in this tank. You should have two green plants to the one red. :grin2:

Looking forward to your tank's progression.
Hahahahaha really you feel that way? :/ Was really proud of this one, was thinking about IAPLC 2017. But thanks! Still a ways to go in terms of growing in but so far so good, I'll try and take a tank shot sometimes this week as a progress update.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The tank is looking great so far! I just have one little concern though, regarding the Crypt. wendtii 'brown'. These can grow pretty big and if it overshadows the HC then you might get some bald spots on the substrate...

Just want you to consider this before the crypts completely root into the substrate :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The tank is looking great so far! I just have one little concern though, regarding the Crypt. wendtii 'brown'. These can grow pretty big and if it overshadows the HC then you might get some bald spots on the substrate...

Just want you to consider this before the crypts completely root into the substrate :thumbsup:
Yeah it is a concern I have as well. But, the HC doesn't hug around the Crypts much so it should be okay, but I'm gonna play it by ear.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Thanks! Woah that is equivalent to about RM100 which is 10x the price they are here.
Yes some prices are crazy here in WA, I think its actually illegal to sell these shrimp here so generally its done word of mouth, tho some people occasionally list them on "gumtree" which is like craigs list etc...

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Howdy everyone. The tank is still chugging along, the pain of using a lot of slower growing plants is that although it's less maintainance, you gotta exercise more patience. Speaking of which the Bucephalandras are finally throwing out leaves was getting a bit worried with them. Hacked down the stems last weekend to get rid of the emersed growth and also the Rotala was a bit too tall.

Was getting a bit of melting in my HC. I'm gonna have that down to the effects of me toying around with the CO2 to make the shrimp happy (one day I had it on basically nothing woops...). Still gonna dose 1/2 EI unless the HC continues to look bad.
Diatoms and GDA have arrived in full force, giving my tank that oh so beautiful brown-green sheen. I'm just gonna let the algae run its course and adjust if things don't improve. Toying with getting Otos, but that means I have to farm algae in the QT. Although that can't be that hard considering the state of this tank hahaha.
Thinking the flow is giving the shrimp trouble but what are your opinions? Just concerned that the flow may negatively affect the plants.
Here's a full tank shot and a bonus shrimpie photo -

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Opare's ADA 60P

Looks like your Rotala is coming around. Did you notice any hints of 'blood red' coloration when it was up near the surface?

If you're on the fence about getting Otos, I'd suggest trying Amanos first. They are algae destroyers and have a much smaller impact on bioload.
Yeah they just needed to get over the transition period. The stems have a pinkish tone, but I think it won't really colour up well until I turn up the light intensity. The leaves are pretty green. I'm growing them emersed and they have more of golden/red sheen in that setup. I'm gonna mess with things to get it to colour up more when the tank has reached a more balanced state.
Definitely toying with the idea of Amanos, maybe I'll pick some up this weekend. I think they would definitely get well fed in this tank.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Switched out the HC on the left side for H. tripartita, cus I think it will give a better transition from the background to foreground.

Also got some Amano Shrimp for more beef in the cleanup crew and also cus they are really fun to watch.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Opare's ADA 60P

Hello everyone just a small update. Everything is going well. Got some CRS and fish should be going into quarantine this week hopefully. Most plants are doing okay I took out another Bucep and I'm seeing tufts of BBA come and go so that is a bit concerning but overall everything seems okay. GDA also still giving me trouble but just brushed it off recently after waiting a couple of weeks hopefully it stays away and the shrimp can deal with any residual amount.
Also got some more Amanos and they sre huge compared to the first batch and the other shrimp.
Here's a crappy iPhone shot of one of the CRS:

Also, if you can notice the Bucep in this photo has a new leaf with fantastic colour. Really looking forward to this one maturing more.
EDIT: Also gotta mention I bumped up to 3/4 EI dosing because some of the HC looked like it was melting. Could've been due to when I tinkered with CO2 when I added livestock, but just to cover my bases I've upped dosing a little.
Also the Rotala is still not red and I think it is definitely a light issue. Unfortunately, I don't really want to start bumping up light until the tank is more balanced. Oh well have to be patient...

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hello everyone just a small update. Everything is going well. Got some CRS and fish should be going into quarantine this week hopefully. Most plants are doing okay I took out another Bucep and I'm seeing tufts of BBA come and go so that is a bit concerning but overall everything seems okay. GDA also still giving me trouble but just brushed it off recently after waiting a couple of weeks hopefully it stays away and the shrimp can deal with any residual amount.
Also got some more Amanos and they sre huge compared to the first batch and the other shrimp.
Here's a crappy iPhone shot of one of the CRS:

Also, if you can notice the Bucep in this photo has a new leaf with fantastic colour. Really looking forward to this one maturing more.
EDIT: Also gotta mention I bumped up to 3/4 EI dosing because some of the HC looked like it was melting. Could've been due to when I tinkered with CO2 when I added livestock, but just to cover my bases I've upped dosing a little.
Also the Rotala is still not red and I think it is definitely a light issue. Unfortunately, I don't really want to start bumping up light until the tank is more balanced. Oh well have to be patient...

thats a nice looking shrimp. good quality

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Opare's ADA 60P - 'Belum Temengor'

thats a nice looking shrimp. good quality
Hah thanks they are actually reasonably low-grade. Just the one in the photo is probably one of the better looking ones, also the photo quality makes the colours look more solid.
Probably SS grade considering the price.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Opare's ADA 60P - 'Belum Temengor'

Just droppin a full-tank shot cus I haven't posted one in a while.

I never really noticed how far some of the plants have come, especially the Java Fern, until I looked at this FTS and the older ones. Things are lookin pretty good. Plants are coming along. Bumped up light intensity to try and get some colour on the Rotala but only by 1 notch. I'm gonna increase it very conservatively.
The shrimp all seem happy swimming and grazing away.

Getting my first batch of fish tomorrow as well! They are Pseudomugil sp. 'Red Neon'. The quarantine tank isn't quite fully cycled as it only can eliminate 1ppm of NH3 in one day, but I have to rush it a bit because I reserved these fish quite a while ago thinking they won't come often. They've already reserved for a couple of weeks, so I don't want to force the shop to keep them any longer. The tank gets 0ppm NO2 but it's the NH3 that's the problem. I'm just going to stay on top of water changes and parameter monitoring so the fish are happy. They may not even produce enough waste to stretch the filter past 1ppm but we shall see.
Also, thinking about getting a proper camera cus the photos are currently quite dire. May just borrow one from my friends cus a lot of them own DSLRs.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·

First batch of fish are in quarantine! Unfortunately, I can't sex them so I don't know the gender ratio, but definitely looks like more females to males (which is good). Now to wait to see if they are healthy...

21 - 40 of 215 Posts