The Planted Tank Forum banner

201 - 215 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
Pearling feast :)
Hahaha indeed. By the evening my water looks like Sprite.

Looking great!
Thank you! Everything is coming together and growing well. Only thing left are the Crypts which I now will have to wait to fill in/improve so the midground finally gets filled and I have a better transition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Some great pearling action. You know it's real when u see it inside the translucent java fern leaves. Best pearler is probably riccia. Although too much pearling on riccia causes it to break away from the rock it's attached to and float to the surface like u attached a balloon.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
Some great pearling action. You know it's real when u see it inside the translucent java fern leaves. Best pearler is probably riccia. Although too much pearling on riccia causes it to break away from the rock it's attached to and float to the surface like u attached a balloon.
Thanks, I think a lot of it is cause I have quite a bit of surface agitation from the skimmer and the lily pipe, my relatively high average temperature may also contribute I think. It lowers the waters capacity for oxygen, so saturation is reached more quickly compared to cooler tanks. I noticed on a rainy day where it was really cool outside the pearling wasn't as crazy as it usually is. Maybe it was just a coincidence but the science seems to match up. Of course, high light and CO2 probably the greatest contributing factor.
I really love seeing my Java Fern all bubbly. Riccia would actually be a wonderful plant if it also didn't suck horribly LOL. I agree it is probably the best pearler/most easy to get to pearl and looks fantastic when it does, but it is such a pain. Like you said I can imagine just finding floating Riccia balloons everywhere. Also, the horror when you find the Riccia has escaped into other parts of your tank . ADA always use it well so I appreciate it in their tanks but won't touch the stuff personally.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
I really love seeing my Java Fern all bubbly. Riccia would actually be a wonderful plant if it also didn't suck horribly LOL. I agree it is probably the best pearler/most easy to get to pearl and looks fantastic when it does, but it is such a pain. Like you said I can imagine just finding floating Riccia balloons everywhere. Also, the horror when you find the Riccia has escaped into other parts of your tank . ADA always use it well so I appreciate it in their tanks but won't touch the stuff personally.
There's definitely two camps when it come to Riccia. I love and I hate, so definitely a personal thing. Also depends on the type of setup. As you mentioned ADA, yes, it was a main component of nature aquarium especially in the beginning, but I don't think they had same concerns of hobbyist with it getting every where, they were more about visual impact and riccia delivered.

Ironically I just revived my Mini S with a simple Riccia Scape of sorts. It will be the future home of the Betta (from the other thread) so he'll gain 2 Gallons from where he is now.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
There's definitely two camps when it come to Riccia. I love and I hate, so definitely a personal thing. Also depends on the type of setup. As you mentioned ADA, yes, it was a main component of nature aquarium especially in the beginning, but I don't think they had same concerns of hobbyist with it getting every where, they were more about visual impact and riccia delivered.

Ironically I just revived my Mini S with a simple Riccia Scape of sorts. It will be the future home of the Betta (from the other thread) so he'll gain 2 Gallons from where he is now.
Yeah I think for many it depends on whether the prettiness outways the messiness. I think as long as you don't have a carpet/it is your carpet it is fine. I'm really anal, and I think slightly obsessive so I couldn't really keep it, it would make me feel jumpy just seeing it everywhere LOL. ADA probabaly have a lot more dedicated maintenance too.
Hah that's a coincidence. Quite excited to see the scape should be a good one. Your Betta is already pretty awesome as it is. I think Riccia only scapes are also one of the better ways to use it.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
Which Crypts are you having issues with? Some of them are actually quite picky and difficult to grow.
Mainly C x wilisii and C. lutea/walkeri. Those are the two most troubled ones, but even the the C. wendtii which I have had no issues with before isn't doing super hot. The C. parva is doing well though. I think the increase in GH may help, I got some more melted holes in some leaves but the GH change was only super recent. I'll probably give it a month before I make conclusions.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
Aight so this scape is pretty much kapoot at this point. Between exams, graduating high school and the associated celebrations, some serious neglect kicked in. This was very not good since I had just moved to a higher lighting setting, meaning the stems got super overgrown and I also got a fair bit of algae. I probably could do a clean out, but I think this scape has sort of run its course. I've learnt a lot from it but I don't neccesarily feel super attached or invested enough in it to get it back to before.
I've already started prepping for the rescape, by pulling out some plants and letting them shake some algae by growing them emersed. The next scape is going to be low-tech, so when I leave for university my parents can take care of it. I have a pretty clear idea of what I'm gonna do, so watch this space. I'm actually pretty excited to rescape. I'm going on a trip with my friends next week so work will probably start to be done within two weeks. I had always planned to move to low-tech this summer but I might as well rescape too! I mean what else am I going to do with my summer break LOL.
Unfortunately never got a last photo of the scape, but there are the photos floating around here, it never got right in the sweet spot but it was almost there. I would consider it a success more because of what I learnt from it rather than the scape itself. On to the next one!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Aight so this scape is pretty much kapoot at this point. Between exams, graduating high school and the associated celebrations, some serious neglect kicked in. This was very not good since I had just moved to a higher lighting setting, meaning the stems got super overgrown and I also got a fair bit of algae. I probably could do a clean out, but I think this scape has sort of run its course. I've learnt a lot from it but I don't neccesarily feel super attached or invested enough in it to get it back to before.
I've already started prepping for the rescape, by pulling out some plants and letting them shake some algae by growing them emersed. The next scape is going to be low-tech, so when I leave for university my parents can take care of it. I have a pretty clear idea of what I'm gonna do, so watch this space. I'm actually pretty excited to rescape. I'm going on a trip with my friends next week so work will probably start to be done within two weeks. I had always planned to move to low-tech this summer but I might as well rescape too! I mean what else am I going to do with my summer break LOL.
Unfortunately never got a last photo of the scape, but there are the photos floating around here, it never got right in the sweet spot but it was almost there. I would consider it a success more because of what I learnt from it rather than the scape itself. On to the next one!

Any pics of hardscape so far for the low tech tank?

Why do you wan't to go low tech are you losing interest in the hobby or just don't have time for high tech?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
Any pics of hardscape so far for the low tech tank?

Why do you wan't to go low tech are you losing interest in the hobby or just don't have time for high tech?
Hah I wish, my summer has been busy and full of distractions, so I haven't had time to really get started unfortunately. Usually I have some 'me time' in the summer but since it's my last high-school summer it seems like I always have somthing on. Really sorry about not getting any progress done. I feel kinda bad cus also I'm feeling kinda lazy so even though I haven't had the time it's not like I've been itching to do it anyway. But I still feel inspired and have a vision I want to execute.
The thing that is making me unenthused is actually cleaning up the equipment (especially the lily pipes cus now they have BBA on them) for the rescape TBH. I probably will get it all done in about 2 weeks because I have some stuff to sort out for university next week, but after that I'll have time to work on it. I also have a plan to make the rescape as smooth as possible despite the livestock. The only major hangup is I wanna reuse the soil so I don't get another ammonia leech if I use new soil, but this soil is like tangled with DHG and its not in my plans for the future scape. It will probably be really hard to remove but heyho. I guess it wouldn't be a terrible look to have random patces of DHG coming out especially for the scape I have in mind.
The reasoning for going low-tech is actually cus I'm moving away from home and going off to college/university so I won't be home to tend to it, and there's no way my parents could manage a high-tech setup. They still want to keep the tank and especially cus the fish and shrimp are breeding right now I don't really want to tear it down completely either. So low-tech is a good course of action. Just get them to feed the fish and shrimp and top up the water and it should be good.
Worse comes to worst I'll just clean up everything and keep the scape as is since it's grown in and the plants seem to be doing fine with no CO2 and low-light (I removed the stems already) and just put some swords in place of the stems which I want to grow out of the water to make it kinda interesting cus they'll flower etc. I'll see which direction I move in. I would prefer a total rescape but IDK if it is logistically possible.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Do you think the DHG will survive in low tech conditions? I had a few cheap high tech setups before (paintball) that I used to get the plant mass to where I wanted. As soon as I went to low tech it was a slow steady decline. I'm setting up CO2 on all of my tanks now. Most are crypts, anubias, and ferns though. Plants just never did much for me without some CO2. My first time in college I lived about 4 hours away and I came home at least once a month. How often will you be able to tend to it?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
Do you think the DHG will survive in low tech conditions? I had a few cheap high tech setups before (paintball) that I used to get the plant mass to where I wanted. As soon as I went to low tech it was a slow steady decline. I'm setting up CO2 on all of my tanks now. Most are crypts, anubias, and ferns though. Plants just never did much for me without some CO2. My first time in college I lived about 4 hours away and I came home at least once a month. How often will you be able to tend to it?
The DHG now is doing fine, I think it can survive low-tech it just spreads at a snail's pace. Yeah without CO2 things can move veeeeery slow, but for what I need that is fine.
I am moving to another country for university, so it will be months between when I'm home That's why I want this to be as hands off as possible, going for only bulletproof plants and super-low lighting as to reduce algae. It's more about having somewhere for the fish and shrimp to live while I'm gone that doesn't look like rubbish. Plus rescaping is fun LOL. It will sort of be an experiment too to see how the setup does.

BTW as an aside earlier in the thread I was having problems with my Crypts but ever since I've neglected the tank (no fertilisers) and lowered lighting and CO2 they're doing well! Must've not been providing enough nutrients at the growth rate that I was pushing at that level.

201 - 215 of 215 Posts