The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mature 50 gallon planted tank full of red cherry shrimp, I find babies in my canister filter all the time and the big bright red ones are always visible. Today at the local fish store they had “sunset shrimp” which are apparently the same species so I thought, oh cool I’ll add some yellow shrimp! I bought 5 and added them to the tank (there’s no getting them back out). Now I’m freaking out because I just read that when they crossbreed the you get brown. Once they start mixing am I no longer going to get bright red shrimp at all? I don’t mind some browns but I would be really sad if I’m a couple years I have a tank full of browns because I can’t get them out. When am I going to learn not to buy things without researching! 😩

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have a mature 50 gallon planted tank full of red cherry shrimp, I find babies in my canister filter all the time and the big bright red ones are always visible. Today at the local fish store they had “sunset shrimp” which are apparently the same species so I thought, oh cool I’ll add some yellow shrimp! I bought 5 and added them to the tank (there’s no getting them back out). Now I’m freaking out because I just read that when they crossbreed the you get brown. Once they start mixing am I no longer going to get bright red shrimp at all? I don’t mind some browns but I would be really sad if I’m a couple years I have a tank full of browns because I can’t get them out. When am I going to learn not to buy things without researching!
You will get a mix of different things for sure but you can cull the undesirables if you’d like. I’m sure someone local would love to have them. You should still get a bunch of nice reds as long as you remove the worst ones before they start to breed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will get a mix of different things for sure but you can cull the undesirables if you’d like. I’m sure someone local would love to have them. You should still get a bunch of nice reds as long as you remove the worst ones before they start to breed

That’s what I’m worried about, I don’t think I can remove them... maybe with siphoning but it would be hard... ugh

·
Registered
262 Posts
That’s what I’m worried about, I don’t think I can remove them... maybe with siphoning but it would be hard... ugh
Feed them a sinking food and wait 15-30 minutes and when they are on it use a extendable shrimp net to scoop them up. It’s best to scoop them from their backside and they’ll usually just jump in. Just be gentle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts