The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I poured a bucket of water in the toilet, and forget I had a prefilter sponge in it because I was cleaning it and the water turned nice and dark brown, then I went to clean my co2 diffuser, then I came back to pour the dirty water away. I flushed the toilet once after I screamed obscenities and watched the sponge flush away to see if it got stuck and the water went down, but now I'm scared to flush it again to see it get backed up eventually.

I flushed it down once and the water went down, does that mean it went through the pipes and OUT of the house?

Or is it stuck in the pipes inside the house and only water is going through it because my sponge got cleaned?

I'm scared. I hope it went out of the house or I'm gonna never hear the end of it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
How big was it? Chances are it will be fine if it went through. Can always push it out with a plunger. How far can you reach your hand in?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Most toilets bowls are designed to hold the entire contents of the flush tank (around 9-10Ltr).

so the worst that will happen is the toilet bowel will fill to the rim and then the weight of that water will most likely move the blockage if there is any.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
OH, my!! :hihi: I'd say if the toilet flushed fine the 2nd time nothing to worry about for now. The sponge may still be in the plumbing. If so then it is filtering your water. I would pour some clorax in the toilet to deteriorate the sponge. Also when anything size of sponge is dumped in the toilet I would pour some clorax in the toilet to prevent back up.
I am still laughing!!

·
Registered
528 Posts
pour that way you can stop if it looks like its backing up

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Should I try the plunger first before pouring? I'm scared that if I used the plunger it might come up and get stuck, but then if I pour it might go down and get stuck somewhere else farther than a plunger can plunge

(Oh my gosh, I'm like having a heart attack because of this sponge.) :(

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
It has a hole in the middle thus water is just going to go through it. If you make a dump in the toilet it may not go through it. Thus you want to pour something in the toilet to deteriorate it.

I am still laughing. Enough please.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Omg I tried to plunge the toilet because my parents are back home, and the water disappeared from the bowl, is that suppose to happen?!?!?! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, my gosh I'm so stupid I should've stuck the sponge back on the filter

·
Registered
528 Posts
Just dump half a 10ltr bucket of water down the toilet it will move through the pipe work.
the pipes are 4 1/2" waste pipe and the sponge is not that big once its past the U bend its gone forever.
Not wanting to be crude but it is designed to remove far more solid material after all.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm just scared, because my parents are really scary when they are mad. And we are low income since my dad doesn't have a job anymore and my mom works minimum wage and only works during the school year, and I heard plummers are really expensive. And I don't have a job yet.

·
Registered
528 Posts
dont sweat just flush it it will be fine. as Hilde said if you are very paranoid about it getting blocked use some drain cleaner (clorax).
the sponge is only 2.75"L x 1.5"W after all. iam sure the toilet has managed bigger than that in its life.

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
A sponge that small should be no problem to get down. I've sent bigger things down there.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay I pour down two (3g) bucketful of the hottest water from the bathtub. It went down both times... so did it go through and out of the house, or is the sponge just letting the water go through itself?

Do you mean Clorox? I googles Clorax, but it keeps giving clorax. So I use bleach or what? I do have bleach, walmart brand bleach.

·
Registered
430 Posts
It may very well be stuck at an elbow in your pipes and could clog over time with hair or solids.

Or it may be fine!

If you notice anything bad happening, or if it makes you feel better to do it now, just rent or borrow a plumbers "snake' - it is an easy tool to use on your own, and should move the clog out of your pipes no problem.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
No, liquid plumber reacts to organics. Plastic has no effect. Bleach does nothing to it so don't bother.

I've worked on toilets a few times. If you can flush fine, hopefully the sponge has passed through the toilet and down the drain. The drain pipe is 6" or so in diameter so the sponge should go down there fine.

My only concern is the sponge is still in the toilet. After several use, if the toilet clogs up, use the plunger again and it should go down. If not, the snake should work. Worse case scenario is to unbolt the toilet but that's a fairly easy task.

Next time, throw the water in the tub not the toilet.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts