The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there, i have a 13g tank that has had high co2 running to bed in an HC carpet. It has been running for about a month now without issue except a bit of green algae that i will deal with later.
I came home tonight to find hydra all over the glass, other small white worms on the glass and tiny free swimming bugs.

There are no fish in the tank, just some pest snails so im not too worried about it. but....
How do i eliminate these bugs???
I will be putting shrimp in the tank so copper isnt really an option....

all help very much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
If you need to you can use dog dewormer Fenbendazole to kill off Hydra and Planaria. If you Google it there is an excellent article as well as multiple testimonials.

It is fish and shrimp safe but not Nerite safe. I used it with Otos, shrimp and MTS all good livestock lived.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, after a little research it seemed the best non medicinal plan was to raise the temp to 106 for 15 mins. I didnt have the tiome to do that today so i got creative. Boiling water, 25ml syringe and blast away. The hydra dies immeadiately and drops off after 10 minutes and the worms go brown and drop instantly. I seem to have got most of it but will see. Otherwise i will raise the temp of the whole tank tomorrow.

So what causes hydra outbreaks..? Is it imported? I did add a tropica plant the day before. Ive never had it in my 55g tank but that might be because i have pearl gouramis in it...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.