The Planted Tank Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts
http://www.theplantguy.org/

Carries some ADA stuff just started so maybe more in the future if there is a demand! Decent selection of live plants, I've ordered twice now plants large for the price! I ordered a bunch of Anubias the site says 3-4 leaves or something some did have only 4 but lots had 6 or 7. One Anubias nana had like 15! Good guy to deal with, I would recommend!

Came across this one too

http://stores.canadianaquafarm.com/StoreFront.bok

"Welcome to the Canadian Aqua Farm website. We have discus for sale in Canada with coast to coast shipping available. If you are looking to buy discus in Canada you have come to the right place. We are breeders and importers of fine quality discus and also carry a select line of specialty aquarium supplies and feeds geared towards the serious hobbyist. We only sell products that we believe in and use on our fish. We now also have African Cichlids for sale in Canada with a special focus on absolutely amazing quality Peacocks (Aulonocara sp). If you are looking to buy African Cichlids in Canada please make sure to browse our cichlid section."

Just want to second the mention of J and L aquatics. I find them to be noticably cheaper then big als online, with free shipping, and at least to me in northern bc, delivery only takes 2 days.

I just got a eheim 250 for $95 and a api master freshwater test kit for $23 with free shipping. Compare that to $128 and $30 at big als, or $160 and $40 at the local Petland.

They also have marine livestock, but no freshwater sadly.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
Your best bet is to not order plants in the winter, just because of the below zero temperatures here. Unless you find someone willing to ship them with heat packs, most things you could order would freeze before making it to you.

I am getting really sick of seeing fabulous deals online in the US, and finding that they don't ship to Canada. Also getting sick of seeing the Canadian price gouging markup of 50-100% for some items. I now understand why urajoey's DIY channel is so popular. I wanted a 5g cube tank. Just the friggin tank. Over 100 bucks for a friggin 5g tank!! I think I will make my own.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Yeah, we certainly get a bum deal up here on aquarium supplies. But the truth is that it's like that across the board. We pay more for nearly everything out there simply because we're north of the border. It's unfortunate and there are some reform attempts to reduce the gap, but nothing concrete yet.

I am getting really sick of seeing fabulous deals online in the US, and finding that they don't ship to Canada. Also getting sick of seeing the Canadian price gouging markup of 50-100% for some items. I now understand why urajoey's DIY channel is so popular. I wanted a 5g cube tank. Just the friggin tank. Over 100 bucks for a friggin 5g tank!! I think I will make my own.

Visit the site GTAAquaria. I ship Canada wide and have in the past. atm I dont have much for sale but I usually have many different things. I will start shipping when spring arrives. The shipping times here take too long, which means chances of freezing are much greater. It takes around 3 days of transit from Toronto to BC. Its quicker if its inter provincial. Actually, Ive not shipped during winter, so I cannot say from experience if its a bad idea to ship during winter. Ive bought lots of plants in US during winter, never had a bad plant. So in US its fine to be shipped. Canada, dunno.

Shipping in winter can be problematic at times but as long as CP delivers on schedule its not a huge issue...If things get delayed and its cold and its a long truck ride, there can be issues....I've shipped from here when its -30 to some place in sask where its -30 and had no problems....But i've had certain stretches where delays happen and plants freeze..I just refund or ship again...

as far as marks up in Canada, I would say yes its higher but that's just to account for importing cost, currency difference and shipping.....Especially on the plant side, its very expensive..

Your best bet is to not order plants in the winter, just because of the below zero temperatures here. Unless you find someone willing to ship them with heat packs, most things you could order would freeze before making it to you.

I ordered from plant guy in Winnipeg back in November and UN-lucked out. Nasty cold snap hit just after he shipped and by the time I picked up at the post office it was -45. IIRC he shipped on Monday and I picked up on Thursday.

Everything arrived alive. No heat packs. One anubias looked a little rough, must of had a tough trip. wasn't sure it was going to survive but it did and its put out a few new leaves. One caveat, in my family at least, I'm kinda know for having a bit of a green thumb, especially for "rescuing" plants (non-aquatic) in distress. I've only recently returned to the aquarium hobby after a long hiatus.

I've got a 40b I'm going to set up and the Windelov I got is growing so good I'm worried it might take over the tank it is in now before I get the 40b up & running.

The crypts were typically unhappy about being moved but none of them melted, and all are growing well now.

Not much option for plants where I live. Petsmart or Petland. their selection is limited. Actually, less than limited. More like minimal. Poor quality too.

All in all, I'm pleased with plantguy. When the 40b is ready....

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.