The Planted Tank Forum banner

Online vendors for Canadians - updated 22/06/2013

32K views 42 replies 23 participants last post by  puriance 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone!

Just figured it might a good idea to make a list of online freshwater fish vendors for Canadians. I know that pickings can be pretty slim up here, our aquarist communities don't seem to be quite as strong as they are in the States and that shipping is murder, but I figured that someone else might be able to benefit from my fruitless searches while I've quested for chili rasboras.

Please feel free to add any sites you know of in the comments, maybe with a few quick details about them, and I'll do my best to keep this list updated.

Here is the current list in no particular order, based on everyone’s input, updated as of 22/06/2013.

Livestock and plants
Canadian-based
AngelFins
Angel fish, plants and supplies

Below Water
Facilities currently under renovation as of 13/09/2012, but join the mailing list and you'll be emailed a stock list when it gets updated.

Canadian Aqua Farm
Discus, food and feeding cultures

Canadian Aquatics
Fish, inverts and plants; some supplies (including ADA)

Captain Cichlids
Mainly cichlids, though some puffers available. Some cichlid specific supplies as well.

The aFISHionados - Spencer Jack
Specialized in cichlids, but a long list of other tropical fish as well

Ebi-Ken Studio
Shrimp, shrimp and more shrimp

The PlantGuy
Plants and occasionally some shrimp. Also carries some ADA supplies.

ShrimpFever
Shrimp, some fish and some plants, also shrimp and plant supplies

US-based, but will ship to Canada
Alpha Pro Breeders
Discus, shrimp and snails; plants; some minimal supplies

Corys’R’Us
Specialized in corydoras, a few other species also listed on the site

Supplies
AngelFins
Wide range of supplies (including ADA )

Canadian Aquatics
Some supplies (including ADA); fish, inverts and plants mostly.

J&L Aquatics
Free shipping with purchases over 100$. Wide range of supplies, new CO2 tanks at a decent price.

Mail Order Pet Supplies
Free shipping with purchases over 200$. Wide range of supplies.

Pets & Ponds
Free shipping with purchases over 200$. Wide range of supplies, including possible special orders for Fluval or Eheim filter parts.

Pisces Pets Emporium
All sorts of animal supplies, including fish supplies. ADA equipment.

ShrimpFever
Some shrimp and plant supplies . Shrimp, some fish and some plants.

The PlantGuy
Carries some ADA supplies. Mainly plants and occasionally some shrimp.

OntarioBeerKegs
Brewing supplies, meaning CO2 gear (tanks). Flat shipping rate of $14.99 with purchases of $50.

US-based, but will ship to Canada
Drs. Foster and Smith
Supplies for all types of pets, but excellent selection of fish stuff. Doesn't ship everything to Canada, but still a very good-looking range of items. Semi-reasonable looking shipping prices: "Flat rate fee ($18.00 US) plus 18% International Surcharge based on merchandise value."

See less See more
#4 ·
Well, I figured I'd start this one for livestock and/or plants first since they're the tougher things to find locally, and then maybe get a second thread going later on for supplies since we actually have quite a bit of choice. Or maybe just list them all together here if that's easier? Really, it's whatever everyone prefers. I just thought this could be a cool resource to have available to anyone looking (because gods know I've had a hell of a time finding, comparing, etc.).

Oh, and I'm also intentionally leaving out listing local aquarist clubs because each city has their own and they can be easily found via Google.

#10 ·
Great suggestions, everyone!

Just one question about Below Water; their site doesn't seem to say anything about holding any fish in stock or purchasing them. Or at least, not that I could find. Do you have to contact them in order to get information? Thanks!

#13 ·
Thank you! Thank you so much!

I've spent ages scouring the internet for a good Canadian supplier of aquarium plants. I keep looking at dustinsfishtanks because I really want to buy plants from a true hobbiest but he does not ship to Canada. ThePlantGuy looks like he fits the bill!

I will try to help update this thread as time permits.

#23 · (Edited)
http://www.theplantguy.org/

Carries some ADA stuff just started so maybe more in the future if there is a demand! Decent selection of live plants, I've ordered twice now plants large for the price! I ordered a bunch of Anubias the site says 3-4 leaves or something some did have only 4 but lots had 6 or 7. One Anubias nana had like 15! Good guy to deal with, I would recommend!

#27 ·
Came across this one too

http://stores.canadianaquafarm.com/StoreFront.bok

"Welcome to the Canadian Aqua Farm website. We have discus for sale in Canada with coast to coast shipping available. If you are looking to buy discus in Canada you have come to the right place. We are breeders and importers of fine quality discus and also carry a select line of specialty aquarium supplies and feeds geared towards the serious hobbyist. We only sell products that we believe in and use on our fish. We now also have African Cichlids for sale in Canada with a special focus on absolutely amazing quality Peacocks (Aulonocara sp). If you are looking to buy African Cichlids in Canada please make sure to browse our cichlid section."

#28 ·
Just want to second the mention of J and L aquatics. I find them to be noticably cheaper then big als online, with free shipping, and at least to me in northern bc, delivery only takes 2 days.

I just got a eheim 250 for $95 and a api master freshwater test kit for $23 with free shipping. Compare that to $128 and $30 at big als, or $160 and $40 at the local Petland.

They also have marine livestock, but no freshwater sadly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.