The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Here's what a year of keeping BKK/Panda has resulted in. They were bred with CRS, and then the female hybrids were bred back with the BKK/Panda. I now have a nice population of Taiwan Bees (originally purchased 8) and a whole lot of hybrids.

baby pics first:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the lessons I learned from keeping Taiwan Bee shrimp:

RO water is not necessary, but certainly helpful in order to maximize baby survival. I use Salty Shrimp Bee Shrimp GH+ remineralizer from Alphaprobreeders.

The genetics for most of the variations of Taiwan Bee shrimp are already in BKK/Panda. If you are patient, you can start with one variety and end up with many flavors of TB.

The "shadow" variant seems to be quite common. In my tank, the black and white Panda is less common than the Shadow Panda.

Red Wine/Ruby Red is much nicer in person than pictures indicate. As juvies, they are not colored up as well as BKK/Panda. As adults, they look amazing.

You can get some really nice looking hybrids if you use nice CRS/CBS. Some of my CBS hybrids have totally solid black on them. The white is not quite there yet.

Have a happy new year.

·
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
2,606 Posts
Wow! I'm so in love with your collection right now! Thanks for sharing Eric! Would you be willing to sell any of your amazing Wine Reds to me? Hehe

So the lessons I learned from keeping Taiwan Bee shrimp:

RO water is not necessary, but certainly helpful in order to maximize baby survival. I use Salty Shrimp Bee Shrimp GH+ remineralizer from Alphaprobreeders.

The genetics for most of the variations of Taiwan Bee shrimp are already in BKK/Panda. If you are patient, you can start with one variety and end up with many flavors of TB.

The "shadow" variant seems to be quite common. In my tank, the black and white Panda is less common than the Shadow Panda.

Red Wine/Ruby Red is much nicer in person than pictures indicate. As juvies, they are not colored up as well as BKK/Panda. As adults, they look amazing.

You can get some really nice looking hybrids if you use nice CRS/CBS. Some of my CBS hybrids have totally solid black on them. The white is not quite there yet.

Have a happy new year.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Nice, thanks for posting. This is exactly what I am working on as we speak except that I have some baby tigers coming in this week as well.

So at the moment I decided that keeping CRS was no longer challenging so I purchased some Extreme Ruby Reds to add to the tank. They are doing well and I can see a colony taking off in the next 6 months or so. In order to complicate things even more, there will be tigers running around trying to get their piece of the pie in the same tank.

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
Awesome, what TDS do you remineralize your RO/di water to with the gh+, also what temperature do you keep your tanks at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 I would love to know this info.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Regarding remineralization, I am using the little 3 gram scoop included in the package which gets the water around 5-6 dgh and 100 tds.

Tank is 70 degrees right now and I keep it around 74 in the summer.

The little pieces of orange substrate is flourite. Its hard to plant stuff in AS since its so light, so I put a layer of flourite at the bottom to help keep plants down.

Filtration consists of 3 Eheim Ecco canisters chained together along with a purigen reactor and a reactor containing nitrate removing resin, plus another canister that is totally seperate. I really don't think all those filters are necessary, but I wanted to try a low flowing filter setup that would have encourage the growth of anaerobic denitrifying bacteria.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.