The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a cheap one from Petco to place in my line between my Co2 reg and my diffuser. I swear its dropped the air flow to next to nothing. I have a one way check valve at the tip of my Co2 regulator but it really worries me seeing the entire line fill with water all the way down to my Co2 tank.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a better quality one way valve?

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hi LLongjr,

The reason most plastic check valves fail is the plastic cannot tolerate the carbonic acid that forms when water or humidity come in contact with the CO2 and the plastic breaks down.

I have used Clippard check valves for the last eight years without a single failure. They are all brass, can handle up to 300 psi, have a crack pressure (opening pressure) of approx. 1/2 psi above atmospheric pressure (which is very low), works from 32 degrees to 230 degrees, and are made in the USA. I bought my CO2 check valves from Rex Grigg when he had a website selling aquarium related CO2 products but unfortunately he is retired. You can purchase the components needed on Ebay but it unfortunately not all from one seller.

Each check valve will require:

1 each Clippard MCV-1BB - 10-32 female / female openings
2 each Clippard 11752-1 - 10-32 male to 1/8" multi barb fittings (for regular airline)
or
2 each Clippard 11752-4 - 10-32 male to 1/8" single barb fittings (for CO2 airline)

Current Ebay locations are:
[Ebay Link Removed]
[Ebay Link Removed] (Pkg of 10 each)[/URL]
[Ebay Link Removed]

Here is another thread on the subject.

Website apparently does not allow Ebay links PM me if you have trouble locating the items. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I find the brass 10-32 fittings to be more expensive and not much better so prefer using plastic fittings. They can be found for around ten cents each if a group are bought and seem plenty strong enough for airline use. I find Arkansas Plastics or US Plastics are good dealers when needing to go straight to the manufacturers. You can also get lots of good detailed and expert advice on choosing which tubing and fittings for our use. Their tech sections are experts on plastics. They could have sold me any type plastic they make but when I told them my use they suggested the cheapest as our use is so low level and simple. CO2 at under 50PSI is not a tough use!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.