The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could not get this fish out of the driftwood I wanted to remove from the client's tank.
So I pulled it and set the wood over a bucket with some water in it.
1.5 hours later, the fish would still not wiggle itself loose.

I had to leave and was not going to place a wet piece of wood in my seat on the truck, so I tossed in back and drove 2 hours home, stopped off to buy a few things etc.

I figured the fish would wiggle loose of die.
I got home later, about 5 hours had past.

I saw the fish may still be alive so I sprinkled some water and it wiggled some and came loose. Finally!

I dropped it into the tank at home and it's doing fine.

This was long fin Bushy nose pleco, they run about 150$ in the LFS here in CA. It's about 5" long and male(stubborn).

If anyone locally is interested in trade or wants to buy it, let me know.
Hard to kill, rare, active(unless you take it's wood out of the water) and very interesting fish, but too big for my tank set ups.

I know other species can live out of water in burrows etc for long time periods, but not this one.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
562 Posts
Long fin bristlenoses run that much in CA??? sheesh, here in washington, I got three for about 6 bucks each. now, granted, they are quite tiny and adorable, but I have no doubts that they'll grow quickly.

·
Registered
562 Posts
yeah, mine was sitting next to an otto, and they're about the same size right now, that's likely why mine was so cheap. :) I don't mind waiting for them to grow up though, so it all works out for me.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Ohhhh yeah. BN plecs are about the best thing since freeze dried brine shrimp for your tank. ;-) well, I think they're prettier than ottos and bulldog plecs anyway. Busy little suckers, but they get to around 6-7 inches max. That's why his is expensive - full grown.

Also, his is a fancy variety. The normal ones are cheaper, and also harder to find! (for me anyway... I "had" to "settle" for long finned...)

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
That's a pretty good pleco review. How are they with cow-type fish? Do they harass slow targets or get appetites for slime coats? (yeah, we're talkin' goldfish here...)

After my 20" plecos, I think something petite would be nice.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I don't have any first hand experience with them and goldfish... though they haven't been bothering my angelfish. They really do seem to mimic my otos - however they're still quite small. You can read up on them on planetcatfish.com. :)

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The fish is fine.
It eats very well on algae wafers, is a large 5-6" dramatic male.
I got them for less than 150$ obviously from the wholesaler.

Mori, a 20" common pleco has no place in a goldfish tank nor a planted tanks for that matter. Not all plecos attack slime coats, eat plants and what not.
Many are quite suitable, as are most in this genus.

I like different plecos.
This one is very nice and is going back to the large tank now that it's been extracted.

They are not very cryptic either, they come right out when food is offered and came be seen moving around the tank often.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
562 Posts
Tom, any chance of a picture? I've discovered a love of various plecos lately. I'm dying to get a photo of my pseudocanthicus leopardus, but I think I'd have to tear the tank apart, drain it, dig him out of the substrate and then fight him for a bit and even then I'd probably still only get a blurry picture of his tail... my baby BN seem more sociable... and still quite pretty.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tom, any chance of a picture? I've discovered a love of various plecos lately. I'm dying to get a photo of my pseudocanthicus leopardus, but I think I'd have to tear the tank apart, drain it, dig him out of the substrate and then fight him for a bit and even then I'd probably still only get a blurry picture of his tail... my baby BN seem more sociable... and still quite pretty.
I have 3 very large ones(P leopardus), well, about 5-6", they get bigger.
I have 6 2.5" that are eating and doing very well.
I've had those since they where 1" long.
They are still social as juvies.
A well designed cave system is required for viewing.

I keep them with Whimple piranhas.
Of course some U grammifolia for a carnivorus theme for the tank is a wise.
Makes a nice group of fish. I have some moth cats, they are pesky because they are hard spot, but good for clean up.

No pics just yet, the fish is wild looking due to the finnage. As they get older, those fins get very long and interesting.

I have a few pics, but nothing worth while just yet.
Other fish always get in the way.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
562 Posts
You keep them with piranhas? I keep my guy with angelfish... He's got a pretty good cave, one that I can see into from the front of the glass, but he's dug himself a little trench in the substrate so he can duck behind that if he sees me coming so I can't see him. I think he instinctively knows that nothing would make me happier than to see him swimming around the tank and is in there just to spite me. nothing wants to bother him... though random angels are constantly freeloading in his home.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.