The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THANKS everyone!!!

Technically, C. crispatula var. balansae. Sorry, that's the crypt geek coming out in me ;)
Actually, for a beginner like me, this was very helpful in my online research. Having the full scientific name, helped me finds lots more stuff online. Based upon everyone's comments and further investigation, it seems pretty sure that I have a member of the 'C. crispatula' family. However, in addition to var. balansae, there is also another option - var. flaccidifolia.

In some descriptions of var. balansae, there is a comment about a narrow version called var. flaccidifolia. I think that what I have looks a bit narrower than balansae. Also, the few photos of var. flaccidifolia look a lot like my plant.

However, I can't find anyone online that sells var. flaccidifolia - and I bought this from a LFS, so I doubt its too exotic. Whereas there are lots of sources for var. balansae.

Anyway, I am close enough to an ID for my own purposes. Next time in I'm in the store, I'm going to talk to the woman who specializes in plants and see if she can give me positive ID. Last time I was at the store, they were out of stock of this plant and the plant lady wasn't there. :-(

·
Registered
414 Posts
The plant you have is definitely C crispatula var. balansae. There are a few different strains in this species like the green, red, narrow, broad etc. The width of the leaf blade can vary from about 1.5-2cm in the 'Narrow' variety to about 3-4 cm in the 'Broad'.

C crispatula var flaccidifolia looks very different from the C crispatula var balansae. The leaves do not have any bullations. A lot of times when you get C spiralis var spiralis from an LFS/ online vendor it is C crispatula var flaccidifolia.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.