The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have one sick looking molly (fins are ragged, he's listless at the bottom of the tank, definitely not himself)

But he is in a 10 gallon planted tank with healthy community members (3 cherry barbs, 4 harlequin rasboras, 2 otto cats, 2 shrimp, and 1 small Mono sebae).

Other times that I have had sick fish, they all get sick at the same time (usually because of poor water quality). Is this normal? Is the molly just on his natural way out?

Thanks,
Anna Z

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
No way anyone can tell what is going on with the fish - how old is it?

I would quarantine him as whatever is wrong with him could be contagious.

That Mono is gonna outgrow that tank really fast - it's really not an appropriate sized tank for him. They are also somewhat aggressive and it's possible that he is harrassing the molly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I have a 29 gallon tank that I had two Mono sebae in. One was way more aggressive than the other, and I separated them. The passive one has been in the community tank for ~3 weeks. The aggressive Mono is in the 29 gallon with 5 rams.

I am thinking of doing a brackish tank for the Monos. I don't know what else to do with them (I have a 50 gallon freshwater tank that I could put the passive Mono into, it is also a community tank).

As for the Molly.... I have had him for 2 months. But I don't know how old he was when he was sold.

·
Registered
532 Posts
maybe age but they shouldnt be kept on there own a group of 3 minimum

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Molly on his own

Wow, I didn't realize that Mollies would get lonely on their own.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also to qualify my statements (so you guys don't think I am an idiot!) I have been keeping fish for < 6 months. So I am definitely new to the hobby and learning as I go!

·
Registered
532 Posts
its possible they get lonely and feel les secure and semi aggresive fish make things more difficult i would suggest age but if you get more mollies in the future i would get around 3 all female unless you want fry

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I suspect the molly is being bullied.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts