The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a 10g set up for 2.5 months now and ever since i put rcs in it a month ago jusy about 1 dies every night. Any ideas as to why?
Ph 7.4 tested during the day and night and staying constant
Gh 3
Kh 6
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate haven't taken a measurment in a while.
Other inhabitants are 2 ottos and a mystery snail.
My 5.5g with co2 has never had thus problem.

·
Registered
936 Posts
mystery snail should be more sensitive to poor water conditions than rcs. is the snail actively browsing around?(means your water is fine)

do you see in any of shrimps alive milky white abdomen ?(means its bacterial infection)

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Temp's?,food's lacking calcium?,poor genetic's?,old age?, contaminate's unknown?Predation?
Might would try and eliminate some of these variables.
I notice in my own shrimp tank (cherry shrimp),that if I do not introduce new stock once or twice a year the breeding slow's down, and more grey/brown looking shrimp appear compared to red color.
Sorry couldn't be of more help.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Temp's?,food's lacking calcium?,poor genetic's?,old age?, contaminate's unknown?Predation?
Might would try and eliminate some of these variables.
I notice in my own shrimp tank (cherry shrimp),that if I do not introduce new stock once or twice a year the breeding slow's down, and more grey/brown looking shrimp appear compared to red color.
Sorry couldn't be of more help.
Really? I've had the same batch (no new blood ever for them, and I don't cull because I'm lazy and don't care much) of cherries going for the last 5 years, never had any brown or grey ones show up. Weird.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
So i changed their food from what i was feeding my rcs in another tank and none died for a week. I then fed some of the old food and one died. It was an algae wafer. Any thoughts?
Check for copper in the ingredients?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Really? I've had the same batch (no new blood ever for them, and I don't cull because I'm lazy and don't care much) of cherries going for the last 5 years, never had any brown or grey ones show up. Weird.
Same here. 5 years. No culls. No additions. No drop off in the coloring.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
gH looks a bit low; try adding a little limestone, cuttlebone, or gH remineralizer to get it to ~5.
How did you acclimate them? I've had acclimation deaths a month in.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
If it is bacterial is tetracycline safe for shrimp?

Just got home and a female that just got berried has died from what looks like a failed molt. This is frustrating...
Failed molt. Sounds like a GH problem. GH of 3 is low. Have you inspected every dead shrimp for cracked shells?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts