1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
INDEX of Full Tank Shots (by post number):
6g: 1, 18, 75, 97
75g: 1, 18, 48, 50, 51, 64, 75, 97, 104, 113, 117, 119
220g: 18, 19, 23, 36, 41, 51, 66 , 75, 97, 113, 117, 119, 120, 126, 127, 142, 146

I've had a 75 gallon tank in my office for maybe 8 years, but when I moved to a new and larger office two months ago, it was time to add some tanks. Surely a Fluval Edge would not look out of place. And oh, maybe that wall could have a 220 with altums!

This journal is really about setting up the 220, but that process is effecting the other tanks - plants are being moved around - so this journal will be about the whole menagerie.

So here is the original 75, two months into a fresh design. This is the only tank of the 3 with C02 injection. It currently houses a mated pair of angels, a school of rummy nose tetras, some Amano shrimp and 6 kuhli loach.

The C. balansae and java ferns will be coming out for the 220, while the Myriophyllum mattogrossense is being encouraged to fill the entire back corner to hide equipment. The hair grass needs a trim I know. The school of tetras will likely be enlarged and move to the 220

Here is the 6g Edge on top of a file cabinet near a window:

It has cherry shrimp and white cloud minnows. The java fern in there will be moved and I need a background plant. Maybe Blyxa japonica? Flame moss on the rocks is beginning to fill in. This tank has an LED lighting upgrade, but it is still a low light tank without heat. The window is north facing, so no direct sunlight.

And the elephant in the room as viewed from the desk:

The walnut stand build is documented here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182000

The other view, from the corner you just looked at:

·
Registered
487 Posts
nice office, i have 5 in mine ;) but none are up to 220 dang son! it looks awesome so far, and i have all black furniture in mine as well. cant help the sleek look its top notch

A+ for the office
A+ for having tanks in your office ;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Wow great view, super jealous of all the tanks. BTW, what's up with all those Eheim filters, are they for the 220? Also what's in the clear tubes, I'm guessing plants for the big mama.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Very nice work on your stand you built. The only problem I forsee is how do you get any work done? I would be too distracted looking at the tanks all day long.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hope the floor can support that 220!
Me too! Concrete slab high rises should be ideal for large tanks.

The 220 will get two canister filters. I am purposely"over filtering". Hooking up the filtration is my next step. Once I get some circulation, I think I'll dump some ammonia in there to start the cycling process.

The big plastic boxes had washed substrate in them. Maybe I should take another picture of the cleaner office.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was an investment broker for a large firm. Now I am an independent broker clearing trades through a large firm geared towards independents. So, I am now self employed with a shared assistant. I get to make the rules!

I live nearby and come in weekends for tank maintenance.

As for the distracting views, I spend lots of time on the phone and it helps to have a relaxing scene for the eyes.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got into the office this weekend to install canister filter #2 on the 220. Also pulled plants from the smaller tanks that do not belong in them any more and put them for now in the 220. I ordered plants Friday and will take a stab at an aquascape when they arrive, so the arrangement now is temporary. I will likely have some Cardamine lyrata and Myriophyllum mattogrosense available free to a good home some time this coming week.

Full tank shots:

75 before some trimming:

75 after trim:

220, cloudy from adding some substrate, but with the green you can start to get an idea of what this can look like:

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I write this as I wait for the 220 water change. I am changing ~80% and hope to add some of the rummynose tetras from the 75 to the 220 along with some Seachem Stability to speed up the cycling. The main reason I cannot wait is the altums arrived and the filter on the 75 is only working at 30% and so I want to lower the bioload there as much as I can until my Eheim gasket gets here and I can get the filtration back up to what it should be. Cloudy water and expensive fish are not a good idea.

(There is never a good time for equipment issues, but this is particularly annoying. The filter is pumping very little flow and is not clogged anywhere. Research shows that the gasket must leak a little - it spits some water when priming - not enough for water to come out, but enough to break the vacuum that these things prefer. At least that is my current theory.)

As for the altums, they are tiny and not all of them made it, but the 6 that are schooling around are eating heartily and are cute as can be. Stress was above normal on the shipment since the USPS took two days for a guaranteed overnight delivery. I am not much of a tank photographer.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts