The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I started with low grade CRS a while back and I've been refining the grades slowly, not adding any more shrimp from other sources. I've been a bit lazy and haven't removed the culls that early so the progress hasn't been as fast as it could have been. But it's fun and relaxing and I like the results.

I just wanted to share this with you all, I have high hopes for this female's offspring (she's carrying some right now and they are hatching as we speak), since she has nice tiger tooth and some white on the top middle of the red middle band and also those white dots on the first red band. There are others with those same markings, but this one happened to be near the front glass when I had my camera in hand. :)

I can't wait to see how her best offspring will look like. :)

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I have some with more solid white, but she is my favorite for now. :D

·
Registered
845 Posts
Sweet! :) I see the lil white dots too! You'll get some real nice ones with her Rain. I'm looking forward to seeing them too. ;)

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's so much fun to do this. :)

I have now some nice S grades and some A grades, I don't think I've seen a B grade for a while so I'm happy. It's great to spot some new traits, like the white line on top of the red band. And it's really funny that all the higher grade ones seem to be showing the same things, regardless of the lineage, like not just these mine, but other people's CRS too. After they hit a specific level, there will be those white "eye dots", tiger tooth, the white line and white nose. The middle red band is first to diminish with the tiger tooth spearind and then those "eye dots" on the first red band will get larger and the first and third red bands will start to disappear.

It's really nice to know that I don't have to get high grades from someone else, I can make my own.

I'll promise to show the new generation when they are big enough. :)

These are some of the shrimp I started with:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Rain-
What camera are you using to take these shots? I am wanting to get a better one but can't afford those $1,000 or more ones.
Great pictures and shrimp :)

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you. :)

It's a Canon Powershot A80, a nice, but old digital Point & Shoot. I also have a DSLR, but I usually end up using the compact camera since it's much easier to use (and I don't have to worry about breaking it :D). I should get a new one since the focus isn't working that well anymore (I've dropped it one time too many). But I don't know much about the newest models so unfortunately I can't recommend any to you either. I need to do some research myself too. :)

·
Registered
845 Posts
This is a wonderful example that you don't have to start off with such high grade (expensive) CRS to eventually get the higher grade CRS that everyone drools over. :) You also get the added kudos for breeding these lovely CRS! Good for you Rain!:proud:

Nice pics too!

Rain: Do you also have black diamonds or just CRS?

·
Registered
477 Posts
rain- I can't believe the top picture came from those C-B grade CRS. That's awesome! :) Also gives me hope of my lower grades :thumbsup:

A little off topic but are you growing Marsilea quadrifolia in sand substrate?

·
Registered
34 Posts
ihania rapuja!!

don't know how to say this in finnish..but, what an accomplishment to start from the low grade and now look at where your shrimps are at :D

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Awesome Satu, they've come a loooooooong way.

I'm sure that food of yours helps as well...

How are them PDFs doing for you, haven't really read too much on dendroboard.com, been too busy:icon_neut

-Andrew

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Color Me Blue: Only Crystal Reds. :)

Cydric: I think it was M. hirsuta that I had back then. It grew really nicely in the sand. I recently bought M. quadrifolia too and I'll be putting it in my sand bottomed tank when I remember (now it's in a jar with a bit of water to keep the roots wet :)).

absinthe_fi: Thank you. I have to say that it's great that you are into CRS too, now there's someone in Finland to talk about CRS with. :)

Haeun: Let's see. I started with only a few low grades a bit under 2 years ago. It took about half a year to the point when there was mostly A grades. And a few months after that I had my first S grade. If I would have been more strict with the culls not being as lazy as I am, I think I would have been in this position with S and A grades, S grades getting close to S+ around one year after I started. I've also kept some low grade ones with the best ones because they have had some good markings that I wanted to get stronger. I think I will fish out all the A grades soon and leave only the S grades in the tank. :)

eklikewhoa: Neat. I hope your's will be giving you lots of nice beautiful babies too. :)

Fish Newb: They really do seem to love my biscuits. And it does feel good to be able to offer them the best I can. :)

PDF's are doing too well. I have 10 froglets jumping around and lots of tadpoles swimming in an aquarium with some mosses, house plants roots in the water and indian almond leaves.

Here's one of the newly morphed froglets (it's Epipedobates anthonyi, the base color will turn red after a few months):

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Congrats on the breeding!! I really want some but am holding off. My parents keep saying all it is is one more way to make my room smell bad:icon_roll :hihi: So whatever.

But It must be a nice feeling to be breeding some, especially those which I've heard is very interesting with the large clutch sizes!

Good luck
-Andrew

1 - 16 of 16 Posts