The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all- I'm back after taking a few years off from the hobby, and now I need to relearn everything.
I have some Coralife fixtures from back in the day- one little 18w that I bought used, and a larger 65watt.
For quite some time, the 18w worked only if I propped it up on an angle. Then it stopped working, so I bought new bulbs. Now the light only works if it's upside down.
With the 65 watt, it's now flickering occasionally and making a tiny snapping sound.

I don't know a ballast from a starter, so any help would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
If you have replacement parts and are willing to do a little electrical work, then replace each item one at a time. (It seems you have already replaced a bulb- see how easy that was!) See what fixes the problem. Always unplug the fixture (do not just depend on an on/off switch).

In the fixtures I have:
Starter is a small cylinder about 1" or a bit longer, and 1/2" diameter. Mine are white, but I have also seen silver ones. They untwist with about 1/4 of a turn. Very easy to access and replace. Cheap, too.
Ballast is usually inside the fixture, so you have to take it apart to get to it. These are usualy a rectangle that varies in size, but may be 4"-6" long by 1"-2" by 1/2" -1". Many are attached to the fixture with screws. Make a drawing of how it was wired (usually white and black wires) then remove it, and take it to a hardware store and get an exact replacement. If the new balast has a wiring diagram use that. Otherwise, install it by refering to your drawing.

If you are not comfortable doing wiring then do not tackle replacing the balast. Perhaps there is a friend who has some handyman skills? Minor home repair skills is all it needs. Know any computer nerds? Even a teenager who has rebuilt his own computer could replace a balast.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for taking the time to write that out. I feel much more comfortable poking around and taking parts out now.
Hopefully one of them will lead to a functioning light.
:icon_smil

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I started with the 18w. Took it apart, put it back together and now it's working. Nothing obvious was wrong with it.
Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts