The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I'm going to buy RO system tommorow to improve my water values.
At the moment, my KH is 9 and my GH 29!!
the GH from my tap water that im useing to fill my tank with is 24.

I'm growing rotala rotundifolia and hygrophilia corymbosa (i think) with much success but i have a problme with Hemianthus micranthemoides and Hemianthus callitrichoides. everytime i get these guys into my tank they just slowly turn black and dies.

Do you think RO and softer water values will make my plants grow better and look healthier. or at least survive in my tank? :help:

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what???
so maybe im wrong.
i using API tests kits.
do they use ppm or degrees German hardness???

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I don't know much about how utilities work in Israel or anything like that, but can you obtain a water quality report from the utility company that spells out all the details about your water supply? That might clear up some confusion.

Also, fwiw, rotala and hygro are known to pretty much thrive in almost any condition, and the HM is slightly more demanding. I've never grown HC so I can't comment on that, but I understand it, too, is a bit demanding... so maybe the issue isn't really about hardness, and is more about nutrients?

What's your fert regimen? What kind of substrate, lighting, all that jazz...

·
Super Moderator
11,955 Posts
what???
so maybe im wrong.
i using API tests kits.
do they use ppm or degrees German hardness???
For API test kits, for every drop of reagent you add to your water sample, it indicates an increase of 1 degree German hardness.

Thus, if your gH test kit took 29 drops to change colours, you would have a gH of 29 dgH or 516.2 ppm (1 degree German hardness = 17.8 ppm).

This means that your kH is 9 dkH or 160.2 ppm.

You have what we call "liquid rock"...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its a stable:
20-30 PPM nitrate
1-2 - phosphate
csm+b

234W T5
co2
uv
baisicly everything u need to have an high tech aquarium.

anyway i gought the RO system..
lets see how it going to efect my plants

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts