The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I will decide (finally!) tonight whether or not to add mts to my tanks. I'm not worried about potential overpopulation. I can deal with that. But here are mt two questions;

1 - What they eat at night when they come out; will they eat the eggs laid by my ramshorns? I'm encouraging their breeding so I can add them to my other tanks. I really don't want their eggs eaten. (well, I guess i could just move some ramshorns to other tanks - lol) Also, I have a cory in one tank, and I plan on added more to his lonely self. I'll also have corys in all my other tanks. Being night feeders (at least my present cory is) will the mts compete at night with the corys, and can they do so to such a level the cory could starve?

2 - I have a cap on my dirt tank of natural creek gravel. It's about 1" deep. Are the mts strong enough to dig past the cap to get to the dirt? I did ask this once before and a few people said yes, I'm just double checking.

the gravel; (not great shots, but I wasn't aiming at the gravel)

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I went ahead & decided to try some - I'll put them in a 40B I have (no corys or ramshorns). If I like them, I'll add them to my other tanks - but I'd still like to hear any answers to my questions! So if you want to chime in, please do. It will help me understand what they eat, how much they eat, and if they compete with anything in my tanks.

Thanks!

·
Registered
861 Posts
I've never seen them eat any of my other snail eggs. As far as out competing cories for food, the 3 cories in my tank with hundreds of MTS seem to do fine. Although anything left for a while is snail food, veggies will be covered by snails in an hour in my tanks. Even so the fish have plenty of time to get their fair share and then some.

I don't know personally how deep the burrow, but I have heard of them going all the way into the soil layer under the cap. I wouldn't think it would be much of a problem though they are so slow moving I doubt you'd get much if any soil on top of your cap.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I agree with the others. They shouldn't eat the eggs. I have ramshorn snails and MTS and I sometimes tend to over feed and they multiple like crazy. Also the cories will be fine.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
i liked them until i hated them

removal is near impossible and there is nothing that can kill them, i've tried

they wont aerate the substrate as many say they will

they may help in sand but in a standard substrate, they will just eat junk and multiple. and they will only go as deep as the oxygen reaches into the substrate, so they dont go far down their anyways

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
i liked them until i hated them

removal is near impossible and there is nothing that can kill them, i've tried

they wont aerate the substrate as many say they will

they may help in sand but in a standard substrate, they will just eat junk and multiple. and they will only go as deep as the oxygen reaches into the substrate, so they dont go far down their anyways
AlgaeFix will kill them all. I used to have them everywhere in my tank until I was overrun with algae. I nuked my tank with AlgaeFix, it wiped out all my MTS in the tank... along with all my shrimp.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
here's a lord of the rings analogy.

You know how humans, elves and orcs battled it out on the surface of earth, the little dwarves kept to themselves underground mining the riches.

MTS are hardly seen during the day unless there's food left on the substrate in which case they will come out, but then burrow back beneath the substrate when finished. In doing so they aerate and churn the substrate keeping it loose and oxygenated. They are the proverbial earthworms of aquariums

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I really like your substrate, has a very cool river feel to it.

They will churn your dirt underneath to keep it from forming bubbles and whatnot, which is a good thing, and they will eat whatever leftover food is there. Honestly, the cories wouldn't have any problems not getting food, they are voracious little guys.

A small word about the ramshorns though. I've kept ramshorns, physa snails, and MTS together for a while, but one thing I've noticed are that ramshorns, when they get bigger, will eactually eat their own eggs and the eggs of the physa snails. The MTS are slow and don't even do that, but just thought I should let you know about the ramshorns. I feel its a good idea with ramshorns to thin them every now and then, otherwise their population declines rapidly for some reason.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
here's a lord of the rings analogy.

You know how humans, elves and orcs battled it out on the surface of earth, the little dwarves kept to themselves underground mining the riches.

MTS are hardly seen during the day unless there's food left on the substrate in which case they will come out, but then burrow back beneath the substrate when finished. In doing so they aerate and churn the substrate keeping it loose and oxygenated. They are the proverbial earthworms of aquariums
Nice analogy!

I really like your substrate, has a very cool river feel to it.

They will churn your dirt underneath to keep it from forming bubbles and whatnot, which is a good thing, and they will eat whatever leftover food is there. Honestly, the cories wouldn't have any problems not getting food, they are voracious little guys.

A small word about the ramshorns though. I've kept ramshorns, physa snails, and MTS together for a while, but one thing I've noticed are that ramshorns, when they get bigger, will eactually eat their own eggs and the eggs of the physa snails. The MTS are slow and don't even do that, but just thought I should let you know about the ramshorns. I feel its a good idea with ramshorns to thin them every now and then, otherwise their population declines rapidly for some reason.
That's interesting about thinning out the population of ramhorns. I did not know that. Thanks

·
Registered
861 Posts
I feel its a good idea with ramshorns to thin them every now and then, otherwise their population declines rapidly for some reason
Hmm same thing happened to me, had hundreds next thing ya know I have 2 or 3 left. I just thought I killed them.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey, thanks for all the replies!

I'm going to give them a try, just not in my main tank - not yet. I have a 40B that is not a dirt tank, and a 29 that is (with the same cap as the 125). We'll see if they can make it to the soil. I hope they do - I wasn't even thinking about how they might churn soil up onto the cap - being finer particles, the soil will work it's way back down, I'm not worried about that.

I had a sole mts hitchhiker in the 29g - at least that's what it looked like. I don't know if there are other snails with that distinctive spiral. Anyhow, I watched it one day slowly crawl under the creek gravel cap, and never saw it again. That was more than 6 months ago. I never see any when lights are off, ether, so I guess it didn't survive. I was pretty darned excited about it, too!

HybriHerp, thanks for the compliment on the cap - it is gravel taken out of a huge creek here in the Appalachian Mountains! Thanks also for the info on the ramshorns & population drops - I didn't know that either...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.