The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on setting up a high tech 36in 50 gallon tank and was wondering about lighting options. How would two cheaper fixtures (like a BeamWorks DA or something similar from Amazon) compare to a single higher powered fixture (like a Chihiros WRGB2)? Obviously the light would be more spread out from more LEDs, but what would the other pros/cons be for one setup vs the other?

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I'm planning on setting up a high tech 36in 50 gallon tank and was wondering about lighting options. How would two cheaper fixtures (like a BeamWorks DA or something similar from Amazon) compare to a single higher powered fixture (like a Chihiros WRGB2)? Obviously the light would be more spread out from more LEDs, but what would the other pros/cons be for one setup vs the other?
More expensive lights have more options like built in timers, sunrise and sunset, and color mixing. This is not always the case, lights like twinstar and ada lack these options, but Chihiros has these abilities. Additionally more expensive lights tend to have better looking colors (subjective). I have owned a chihiros wrgb (broke after a year), currently have a twinstar, and have 2 beamswork da fspec. The beamsworks have a much bluer light that to my eye is not nearly as aesthetically pleasing as the other ones I mentioned.

·
Registered
12,736 Posts

A good primer on lighting covering pros and cons of different lights beyond price.

A sample of lights. Models and availability change all the time so doesn' t include all current lights

My personal opinion leans to Finnex lights because 1) They have the most models that out if the box " fit" 36" tanks.
2) Their 7000k and 660nm red containing models have a good balance of color pop and naturalness.
3) Middle if the road pricing.

The line is far from perfect but few lights are.
Not to mention def. of perfect is subjective.

Assuming this is the size the 18 width is a bit of a challenge for single or narrow rowed fixtures.
50 Gallon Aquarium: 36 3/8 x 18 3/8 x 19
Sort of a color comparison:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts