The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. I'm not worried yet just ready to worry.As many of you know I have 6 discus in a 90 gallon tank going on 8 weeks and all has been great but 4 days ago the smallest {41/2 inch's } has stopped eating.I have watched her for these 4 days and she looks perfect but has been hiding a lot from the bullies who she use to ignore at dinner time and got her fair share.I have tried raising the temp from 82 to 86 over three days with no results.I also took her favorite blood worms and beef heart and added some garlic juice and poured it right in front her and again no change.It is time to consider putting her in a cycled 10 gallon tank I have or am I jumping the gun?

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
No, don't isolate that fish yet.
It's only been a few days, and it's a good sign that it was previously holding it's own against the aggression at feeding times. However, the stress involved may have caused it to cease eating temporarily - hopefully hunger will set in and a return to it's previous behavior will re-establish itself soon. The fish hasn't turned dark yet, has it ?
Discus will at times cease eating for a while for no apparent good reason, but so long as they were in good health prior to this episode, and you don't neglect large, frequent fresh wcs, they usually come around eventually.
Continue to try feeding it a bit when it's in isolation from the others & see what develops over the next week or so.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Paul that's what i was hoping,it looks great not dark not sunken or anything.swimming good and does come out of hiding for short periods.It is odd how things changed because he seems to have one particular fish that stalks him where ever he goes and hangs out over his head.I will continue to try to entice him while the others are eating at the other end...

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Try and squeeze a bit of garlic juice from a clove into the water... it is an appetite stimulant for fish.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update

well yesterday was day nine without eating until there last meal when he came out and looked interested for the first time but took the fr.dried blackworms and immediately dropped it and went back to his spot so today i got some frozen shrimp,blood worm combo pack and soaked it in garlic juice for awhile than did a 60% water change and after everyone settled down fed them and he again took a small amount.I am not yet ready to call it a victory but keeping my fingers crossed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts