The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just received a Tropica sword-Echinodorus parviflorus plant. It has two stalks with some small plants and what looks like flower buds on it.

How should I treat these?
I've read to remove the baby plants when they have root systems carefully, but to leave the stalk intact, and I've read to remove the stalk and plants all together then plant them.

Wondering if one or the other method is correct, or both.

As always, any helpful information is much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
What I have done in the past.

When the plantlets have a root system, remove the plantlet from stalk, when all the plantlets are gone, remove the stalk. In order to speed up developing the root system, put the stalk under water if it isn't already.

·
Registered
764 Posts
You can do both, actually: remove the plantlets or the whole stalk. If you remove only the plantlets with some roots (they develop only in water), then the rest of the potential plantlets could develop. Just removed one plantlet from the Tropica sword a couple of weeks ago and left the stalk alone. Now there seems to be growing new ones there. :)

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Just removed one plantlet from the Tropica sword a couple of weeks ago and left the stalk alone. Now there seems to be growing new ones there. :)
Now I wish I didn't removed the stalk on my Red Ozelot. :angryfire

Thanks for the info Daniel.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Oh no! I hope you got most of them before cutting it! The swords can usually make 2-3 plantlets per whorl, but there are some species/hybrids that make much more.

:proud: No worries there, I got 5 babies before the stalk trim. I left the stalk there for a few months letting good root systems develop on each plantlet.

That would be like cutting the umbilical before the baby is born.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.